logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: vista permissions problem Page 1, 2  Next
Author
Manwe-the-Great

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul '06 3:47    Post subject: vista permissions problem Reply with quote

I don't know if this should be posted here, or on a Microsoft forum, but I figured someone else may have had the same problem.

I am installing Apache 2.2.2 on Windows Vista Beta 2 (Build 5384). At the end of the installation, I get this error message in a DOS-box:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installing the Apache2.2 service
(OS 5)Access is denied. : Failed to open the WinNT service manager
Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
then and error box, saying the installation was completed successfully (go figure) followed by another DOS-box saying:
[Wed Jul 26 20:45:22 2006] [error] (OS 2)The system cannot find the file specifi
ed. : No installed service named "Apache2.2".
Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit.
Just started using vista a couple days ago, and never used apache for windows before (been using it under linux for several months) so I'm pretty clueless here. Thanks in advance.
pnllan

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul '06 6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume that you are using the MSI file from ASF for Apache 2.2.2.

Any errors showing up in the Event Viewer?

It looks like MS might have changed the Services 'back-end', if so, you might be out of luck trying to use the MSI - not sure though. Check the Apache CONF file, and make sure your paths are quoted and utilize foreslashes (ex: "C:/Apache2/conf"). Once you are sure your CONF file is well set - Try this and see if you encounter errors:

1. Open a DOS/command prompt and navigate to the bin folder under the Apache root.

2. run this: httpd.exe -k install

-k install installs Apache as a Service, so if your CONF file is error-less and it still will not install - I would say you have a compatibility issue.
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul '06 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

(OS 5)Access is denied. : Failed to open the WinNT service manager

That is the new security rule from Vista. Even when you login as Administrator you don't have the rights from a Administrator untill Vista ask for. It is like under Linux when you can not login as root but when you need root persmission it ask for the root password and it run programms with su / sudo.
Also there is the issue, that Vista is still beta!

Try to start Apache not as service and start it by hand in the cmd.
As pnllan said, try httpd -k install
ouchiko

PostPosted: Mon 04 Sep '06 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to get around this..

First off, the apache install tries to create the conf directories and subsequent conf files as the install progresses. Vista throws a fit and wont create the files, presum. due to permissions. If you can, grab the configuration files from a different install and copy them across.

Secondly, to install as a service you can do one of two things. a) create a bat file with "httpd -k install" and "run as administrator" on this file. or b) goto the command prompt and do

runas /noprofile /user:pcname\user "httpd -k install"

Easy huh? :@)
Jeff_wilson2000

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep '06 5:55    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

I, too, have the same problem installing Apache 2.2.3 on Vista RC-1. I initially tried installing IIS, but I have an issue where no "Windows Features" will install correctly. I wanted to have a simple website, so I thought if I can't use the allegedly built-in HTTP server, I'd try Apache. I get the same dreaded "(OS 5)Access is denied. : Failed to open the WinNT service manager" error. Trying the suggestions in this thread were to no avail, unfortunately. Perhaps I'm just stuck until MS can figure out why I can't install IIS properly (I did submit an error report, several times).
Alessandro Vermeulen

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct '06 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another method is to start the command prompt as a administrator. After that you can install the service with: "httpd -k install" or "apache -k install".
davidlt

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct '06 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any problems installing it on RC2 (5744) of course without UAC... That thing asks even 5 times to rename folder...

I am tired of saving everything to server I want to set up everything in Vista like I did it before on XP. The problem I have, that Apache throws errors, that port is already in use. But that isn't correct, tried several different ports and every time the same. Any ideas what should I do in this situation?

I even tried lighthttpd, but it had the same problem. I don't have router, I am using ADSL, all ports are wide open, firewall is turned off right now. As I said before on Windows XP it was easy to set up and work with it.
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct '06 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

try netstat -b to see if there is an application that listen on Port 80. Try to disable the Windows firefall and defender. Post results again! Very Happy
Jorge

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct '06 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

And uninstall skype if you have it Laughing
James Blond

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct '06 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to uninstall skype. You can set it to a different Port Wink
davidlt

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct '06 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I was looking in Windows or Apache, tried everything and now it's Skype... Smile I even couldn't think that it is using 80 port... (I think this is little stupid)
davidlt

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct '06 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post, I am writing it because people won't see that there is something new if I edit my old post.

After updating to the new versions, I have some problems. Now Apache 2.2.3 + PHP 5.1.6. Any ideas why it doesn't work now?

All paths to the files are correct...

P.S. I am using manifest and new DLL for Apache from this site.

EDIT: As I can see no one knows what problem could be...
MHERRON

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar '07 2:39    Post subject: Re: Vista is really bad Reply with quote

Ok Maybe someone out there can help me. I got Apache to install finally when I went to config httpd.conf to run php5. when I go to restart apache2 service windows wont let me it give some kinda of error like code 1 can't start service-not sure I'm currently at work and my computer is as at home. Has anyone else ran into this problem and what is the best
way to fix it please let me know Mad

Mike
Jorge

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar '07 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

look in your error log for more information. It should shed more light on what exactly is wrong.
MHERRON

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar '07 15:50    Post subject: Ok I think I made a break through Reply with quote

The problem with my httpd.conf is this little bit of code

#LoadModule php5_C:\php5\php5apache2.dll
#AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
#PHPdir "C:\php5

when this is not un commented it causes this error

Could not start the Apache2 on Local computer

So am I doucment this wrong?

It's at the end of the load module block

can someone please help thanks
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar '07 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the error Wink

LoadModule php5_C:\php5\php5apache2.dll is wrong!

that must
LoadModule php5_module "C:\php5\php5apache2_2.dll"
MHERRON

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar '07 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

will the rest of it work correctly?

James Blond wrote:
I can see the error Wink

LoadModule php5_C:\php5\php5apache2.dll is wrong!

that must
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar '07 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is!

Code:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
PHPdir "C:\php5

there is also another way to find that out: trial and error ^^
MHERRON

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar '07 12:42    Post subject: Re: Still not working Reply with quote

Trial an Error has led to frustartion Mad Mad

But the good news is I know what Line is Causing it maybe some one like MR. Bond can show me what is wrong

The error it gives is:

it gives a syntax error on line 117 of httpd.conf

Invalid command 'PHPdir' , perhaps misspelled or defined by module not included in server configuration

the line that it refers to is PHPdir "C:\php5

I am running Window Vista and Have given full permissions to php5

any ideas? thanks for the help Smile
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar '07 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops!
I forgot a Quote (") after PHPdir "C:\php5 that must be PHPdir "C:\php5" Wink

Reply to topic   Topic: vista permissions problem View previous topic :: View next topic