logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache stops responding, but process is alive
Author
kenshiro

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb '15 15:23    Post subject: Apache stops responding, but process is alive Reply with quote

Hi,

Apache 2.4 VC11 x64 on Win2012

I'm using apache as proxy to glassfish with simple ProxyPass.

All was OK, but recently I'm seeing an issue where apache simply stops responding. There is no error in the log files, even if I turn debug level. Process is still alive, but apache doesn't respond to requests (as it would simply "hang"). If I restart it it works for some time, then again this issue. What could cause this issue?

If I was under some Slowloris attack or if some other issue would case that connections can not be accepted any more or threads would be exhausted, wouldn't this be logged into apache log?

Has anybody ever encountered similar issue?

Thanks for help!
Steffen

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb '15 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have hangs, slow traffic and/or when having in your log entries like Asynchronous AcceptEx failed. You can try the following settings:

AcceptFilter http none
AcceptFilter https none
EnableSendfile off
EnableMMAP off
kenshiro

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb '15 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will try these, however I'm not seeing any "Asynchronous AcceptEx failed".

So is this "normal" for apache to hang that often and not log any issue before it hangs?
kenshiro

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb '15 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yesterday, before I applied those settings I also rebooted the server (just to make sure). After the reboot, Apache (with added settings) is rock solid. Not sure if reboot or settings helped, but I'm not in the mood to test the possible "instability" by removing the AcceptFilter lines right now, but I might try it later to see if this was really the issue.

Thanks for tips!

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache stops responding, but process is alive View previous topic :: View next topic