logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.4.23 can't reach server with URL from local compute
Author
Andi04

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan '17 14:58    Post subject: Apache 2.4.23 can't reach server with URL from local compute Reply with quote

Hi. I have stubble upon a problem. I have a webadress www.myname.com and I have setup apache so that i can reach www.myname.com externaly outisde my LAN. I also have setup a vHost for site2.myname.com wich I also can reach externaly outside my LAN.

But if I try to access www.myname.com or site2.myname.com from inside on my LAN then I can't access my site. A workaround is to set www.myname.com and site2.myname.com in my windows host file 10.0.0.20 www.myname.com and 10.0.0.20 site2.myname.com.

This works great until I use a device like AppleTV to reach site2.myname.com from LAN. Then the connection times out.

How do I solve this? I need to reach site2.myname.com from LAN, but I can't add the hostname to hosts on AppleTV. Can I change some settings for Apache so I don't have to add the adress to hosts-file?
Jan-E

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan '17 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have access to the DNS config of your domain, try adding a A-record for site2.myname.com, pointing to 10.0.0.20.

Edit: if site2.myname.com is a public website, you should add an entry local2.myname.com ith value 10.0.0.20 and add ServerAlias local2.myname.com to the vhost of site2.myname.com.

Last edited by Jan-E on Thu 05 Jan '17 15:45; edited 1 time in total
Andi04

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan '17 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if 10.0.0.20 is on my LAN?
Edit: Tried to set A-record to 10.0.0.20 on my DNS at Loopia. Didn't work.

On my iPhone I can reach my site from site2.myname.com but still not from a device on my LAN

Last edited by Andi04 on Thu 05 Jan '17 15:25; edited 1 time in total
Jan-E

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan '17 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Your Apple TV might read the DNS-config, conclude the site is on 10.0.0.20 and try to connect to it.

It is quite common to have a DNS entry for localhost.myname.com, pointing to 127.0.0.1. But you can do the same for other local IP-adresses.
Jan-E

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan '17 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: use other names for the local sites! local2.myname.com or something line that.
Andi04

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan '17 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan-E wrote:
BTW: use other names for the local sites! local2.myname.com or something line that.

I didn't understand the last part.

Btw
this i my vhost
Code:

<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName site2.myname.com
   DocumentRoot "c:/www/vhosts/site2"
   <Directory  "c:/www/vhosts/site2/">
      Options +Indexes +Includes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews
      AllowOverride All
      Require all granted
   </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
Jan-E

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan '17 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andi04 wrote:
even if 10.0.0.20 is on my LAN?
Edit: Tried to set A-record to 10.0.0.20 on my DNS at Loopia. Didn't work.

DNS propagation might take up to a day, depending on the TTL (Time To Live). Be patient or try to flush the DNS cache of your Apple TV and/or your router. I cannot help you with that.
Jan-E

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan '17 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andi04 wrote:
Jan-E wrote:

I didn't understand the last part.

If you add 10.0.0.20 to the public DNS for www.myname.com and site2.myname.com, everybody will try to connect to 10.0.0.20 and you might brick your site for outside users.

Edit: Add a ServerAlias local2.myname.com to your VHost config for site2.myname.com

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.4.23 can't reach server with URL from local compute View previous topic :: View next topic