logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Other Software View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Upgrading My PHP
Author
Newman

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun '17 18:48    Post subject: Upgrading My PHP Reply with quote

Good Evening Everyone.

I am just starting to create my first website, and my Joomla is telling me that I need to update my PHP, from 5.6 to above 7. That means nothing to me, so please can somebody tell me where I can download it, as I have absolutely no idea. I am using XAMPP control panel 3.2.2 and all five programs are working fine, but still it keeps giving me this warning.

Thank you very much

Paul
DnvrSysEngr

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jun '17 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am lead to believe that you have Apache for Windows?

If so, you can download PHP 7.x from http://windows.php.net/download.

There you will find PHP 7.1.5 for Windows. Make sure you get the proper version, 64-bit or 32-bit (32-bit will not work with 64-bit Apache and vice versa). You will more than likely want the Thread Safe variation.

Download the .Zip file and extract into the same location as your existing PHP folder.

NOTE: I would advise you to make sure PHP is stopped (can be done by stopping PHP-CGI.EXE in task manager), then make a backup copy of your PHP directory (all files and folders) before over writing your PHP 5.x with PHP 7.x.
Newman

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jun '17 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon, thanks for the link, yes I have windows, you are correct in assuming that, however the problem I have now is I am unsure how to tell if I have a 32 or 64 bit version.. Please could you tell me where I can find that out.. Also, thanks for the tip regarding using the task manager, I will do that before I install it, for sure..
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jun '17 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

httpd.exe -V

will show your bit version of apache you are using.
Newman

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jun '17 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Blond wrote:
httpd.exe -V

will show your bit version of apache you are using.

Thanks for the tip, I found it in my joomla configuration, 32 bit, so here goes...
Newman

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jun '17 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfft, absolute garbage, I downloaded the right version, and now i'm getting a message saying the program can't start becuse php7.dll is missing from my computer, it isn't, because i've just downloaded it.. Any ideas..
Newman

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jun '17 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i am getting the error message, the procedure entry point php_win32_cp_conv_cur_to_w could not be located in the dynamic link library php7.dll,he procedure entry point zend_unset_property could not be located in the dynamic link library php7.dll,he procedure entry point php_win32_ioutil_gtecwd_w could not be located in the dynamic link library php7.dll,he procedure entry point zend_forbid_dynamic could not be located in the dynamic link library php7.dll,and countless others.. What have you people done to my computer ffs..
Newman

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jun '17 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I beat the error messages by moving a file onto the xampp root directory, but now when I open my joomla admin panel, I get this - Error displaying the error page: Application Instantiation Error: The MySQL adapter mysqli is not available
How do I beat this one..My website home page will not open either.. Thanks in advance..
DnvrSysEngr

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun '17 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what more than likely what happened: when you unzipped PHP 7 into the same directory as PHP 5.x, it overwrote the PHP.INI file.

Couple of ways to resolve your issue:

1. If you made a backup of your PHP directory, you can simply copy the PHP.INI from your backup into your working PHP directory. This may or may not work as the PHP.INI file has changed a bit from 5.x to 7.x.

2. Your best option is to Open notepad as the administrator, open the PHP.INI file, and uncomment the mysqli line by removing the ; at the beginning of the line. Save the file and then restart XAMMP.

In a nutshell, this should solve your issue. If not, just compare your working PHP.INI file with the backup PHP.INI file if you have one.

- S
Newman

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun '17 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, i'll certainly try the first idea, as I did create a backup, but I have gone back to my backup now, and i'm only learning it really, I'm probably just gonna uninstall xampp totally and install a brand new version, with 7 on it, now I know what's going on. It seems the easiest option, I don't really know to start editing notepad files etc..
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun '17 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not install a second XAMPP ( different folder name) parallel and give it a try?
Just copy the document root, dump the DB, import the DB in the other DB and try

Reply to topic   Topic: Upgrading My PHP View previous topic :: View next topic