logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: htaccess file not prompting for password
Author
aaronmartin1651

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug '17 2:52    Post subject: htaccess file not prompting for password Reply with quote

I created the following .htaccess file

<Files "index.php">
AuthName "Restricted"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /path/to/file/.htpasswd
Require valid-user
</Files>
I generated a user and password using

sudo htpasswd -c /path/to/file/.htpasswd user password

When I navigate to the ip address it gave the message: "Unauthorized This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

According to all other walkthroughs It would indicate that I should be prompted for user and password but instead it is going straight to the error message. What do I have wrong? I don't need anything complex I just need it to prompt for password.
maba

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug '17 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please check whether the directory tree where the .htaccess file resides has AllowOverride allowed.

Here is a code snippet that would forbid .htaccess
Code:

#
    # AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess files.
    # It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
    #   AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    #
    AllowOverride None

I have included the documentation comment from Apache. So you can selectively turn on specific overrides or just do

AllowOverride All

Reply to topic   Topic: htaccess file not prompting for password View previous topic :: View next topic