logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Setting up Subdomains (wildcards)
Author
delafunk

PostPosted: Sat 02 Sep '06 1:37    Post subject: Setting up Subdomains (wildcards) Reply with quote

I am running IIS6 on a Windows server and am in the process of migrating all my IIS sites to Apache 2.0. I have a small game hosting service that allows Guilds and Clans a place to host there sites.

The issue I am running into is with IIS you can have a domain of guild.com then create as many sites with names like guild.guild.com or clan.guild.com and IIS manages it. I already have wildcard DNS setup for the sites.

I am trying to transfer these sites to apache and for the life of me can't find a way to setup the virtual hosts to do this. I tried setting a seperate virtualhost for each of the subdomains and that didnt seem to do it.

Keep in mind that each website has it's own directory. We are running mostly e107 which is a PHP based CMS.

If anyone knows of a link or can give me a hand I would be in debt.

Thanks
Steffen

PostPosted: Sat 02 Sep '06 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the following is what you want:

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName anayname
DocumentRoot f:/web/xxx
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *>
ServerName www.guild.com
ServerAlias guild.com
DocumentRoot f:/web/yyyy
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *>
ServerName www.clan.guild.com
ServerAlias clan.guild.com
DocumentRoot f:/web/zzzzz
</VirtualHost>
etc.
etc.

note: The first VirtualHost is used for all requests that do not match a ServerName or ServerAlias in any <VirtualHost> block.

Steffen
delafunk

PostPosted: Sat 02 Sep '06 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Man, worked perfectly. Hey I have another question if you don't mind. I am running Apache 2.0.55 should I upgrade to 2.2.3?

Thanks Again
Jorge

PostPosted: Sat 02 Sep '06 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

delafunk wrote:
Thanks Man, worked perfectly. Hey I have another question if you don't mind. I am running Apache 2.0.55 should I upgrade to 2.2.3?

Thanks Again

That depends on your needs,

2.0.x will be stabelized like the 1.3 tree has been for a while, but nothing new will be added.

2.2.x does come with a nice set of new thing aren is still in active development.

Reply to topic   Topic: Setting up Subdomains (wildcards) View previous topic :: View next topic