logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: can't delete Apache24 dir folder!
Author
ian

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov '17 15:48    Post subject: can't delete Apache24 dir folder! Reply with quote

Hi,
I need help with installing Apache on Windows 10 after mucking it up. I used the cmd command and think I uninstalled Apache as under services Apache is not there.

I want to try again from scratch but I can't delete the Apache24 folder!! It says: Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\. Verify the item's location and try again.

I then tried to extract the files again to over-right the Apache24 folder but it just created a new one, so i now have 2 of folders of the same name

c:\Apache24 and
c:\Apache24

I open them and their contents both mirror each other but only one folder i can open the txt readme files and the other says it can't find it.

I am really stuck and need help.

If anyone knows how to delete this is would really help.

Thank for any help.

Ian
Steffen

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov '17 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you rename the folder(s) ?

Restart the box.
ian

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov '17 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

No can't rename the folder either.

I can delete the recently created Apache24 folder, just can't delete the original one.

don't know what you mean, Restart the box?!
Steffen

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov '17 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restart the computer
ian

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov '17 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes tried that its still there
Mister Nice

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov '17 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds curious. You simply can't have two folders with the same name in the same location. Has one of them got a space prefixed or appended or some other hidden character? Have you tried listing in a command window and seeing if they display the same way? I reckon that - for whatever reason - there may be a dodgy character in one of the folder names.
ian

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov '17 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Apache24 folder that i can't delete is there. I create a new folder called Apache24. it does this ok and I have 2 with same name, looking in both folders via file explore they are empty.

I used cmd and dir command and they both are listed but with slightly different times, both 16/11/2017 even though I installed Apache and this folder yesterday.
Mister Nice

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov '17 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried deleting from an administrative command prompt?
eg.
Code:
rmdir /s /q C:\ProgramData\FolderToDelete

Even so, it's still not possible to have two identical folder names in the same location, even if that is what it may look like.
ian

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov '17 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

not that didn't work either. it worked on the first duplicate but then trying to delete the problem one it said ' The system cannon find the file specified.'
ian

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov '17 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIXED IT!! ITS DELETED!! Smile

I downloaded and used 7-Zip File Manager, renamed and then deleted it using this software. At last! Windows 10 is terrible and buggy.

At least its gone. Now can try again installing Apache.. didn't work first time something to do with sockets not communicating. will follow by the letter and see if works.

Thanks for everyones help.

Ian

Reply to topic   Topic: can't delete Apache24 dir folder! View previous topic :: View next topic