logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Other Software View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Benchmarking/testing
Author
shnazz

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep '06 1:11    Post subject: Benchmarking/testing Reply with quote

I am not very experienced with testing out a system before a major release and am wondering what other people do out there with a wamp or similar environment.

I am considering using the apache benchmarker on some of my larger php scripts and relating some hardware resource stats on a before and after basis. What suggestions/tips can you guys give me?

Any help is appreciated.

- Shnazz
tdonovan

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep '06 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it's getting a bit old now, the free Microsoft-supplied WAST tool is still very useful for testing Windows Web Apps.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/itsolutions/intranet/downloads/webstres.mspx

It provides a better test for applications than ab.exe because it can record a long series of page requests, including cookies and POST data, rather than just hitting one page repeatedly.

Here are the classic beginners' mistakes:
    Don't run your load-test tool (WAST) on the same machine as the server you are testing if you can avoid it.

Be sure to make some entry errors in your testing script. Don't just record perfect sessions.

It is more useful to run a large number of concurrent (simulated) users with random pauses than a smaller number of users without pauses. Long test runs (i.e. overnight, over the weekend) with a realistic user load and random pauses is more likely to uncover subtle programming errors than simple "saturation" load tests.

If your server has a robots.txt file, remove it before running WAST and restore it afterwards. WAST will not test a server which has a robots.txt file.

For things which are hard to script, like adding new records to a database, you might want to test manually while your load-test script is running.

I hope this helps,
-tom-
shnazz

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep '06 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom.

I will be using this software and taking your advice when the time comes. If anything interesting comes up, I'll be sure to post.

- shnazz

Reply to topic   Topic: Benchmarking/testing View previous topic :: View next topic