logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

 


About

Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in  RSS Apache Lounge
 



Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Apache Lounge is not sponsored.

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries.



PHP Editors

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apache Forum Index -> Coding & Scripting Corner



View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Brian



Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 209
Location: Puyallup, WA USA

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct '06 22:10    Post subject: PHP Editors Reply with quote

I recently found an interesting product that may become very powerful for the PHP developer, especially those who have experience with Visual Studio. Take a look at a product called VS.PHP here:

http://www.jcxsoftware.com/vs.php

I have not had much time to explore it, and frankly I am not comfortable with the VS style IDE. Another great program though that really helps with formatting, which lends itself to better code writing and few mistakes, is this program:

PHP Expert Editor 4.0
http://www.ankord.com/

I am not trying to hock these programs, but they are among the better editors that I ahve seen. I like the latter program the best from a purely straight forward design point of view. It shows where { } do or do not match up, it gives a break down of vars, functions, classes (objects), and much more.

I also use Dreamweaver 8, thank goodness I got it before Adobe bought out Macromedia, overnight the price jumped about $200.00 for the very same app.
Back to top
CanUuRead



Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Wed 04 Oct '06 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried both, and they are better than most. However, when it comes to straight PHP coding I prefer Zend Development Environment. The 'code-hinting' and 'active syntax' checking are outstanding. It's worth every penny I paid plus some.

I also use Dreamweaver for things like styling (CSS) and visual layout.

My favorite CSS editor is TopStyle - it also handles HTML and PHP (limited though). Excellent 'code-hinting'
Back to top
Brian



Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 209
Location: Puyallup, WA USA

PostPosted: Wed 04 Oct '06 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use the Standard or Professonal version of ZDE?
Back to top
CanUuRead



Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Wed 04 Oct '06 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professional, if you're in for a penny, you might as well be in for a pound.

The only negative I have with it is that is a little slow at startup - JAVA intensive. However, once it is up it's just as fast as other IDE's (faster in some respects).

Code Hinting (Code Completion) can be adjusted in preference to use PHP4 or PHP5, and it's very intutitive. Great snippets and easy to use and create templates. It's reduced my coding time by about 25 to 50% (depending on what I'm doing). It's not going to take a 'dump' for you - you still have to know PHP, but it will reduce your time.

I love it and I'm very, very picky.
Back to top
Jorge



Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Posts: 376
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct '06 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Dreamweaver 8 soly for my php, css, xhtml,... coding.

I tried working with the Zend IDE IIRC it had a debugger which was nice but it kept on freezeing on my computer every hour or 2. Not a big problem but Later i switched to DW 8 and never looked back. And If i'm on the go i use Notepad++ which i have on my USB key
Back to top
Brian



Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 209
Location: Puyallup, WA USA

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct '06 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it takes an entire mind effort to adjust to using an IDE versus an editor. I very much care for the formatting quality when using PHP Expert Editor 4.0, it is so dang simple to format the most complex scripts.

I guess is as difficult to adjust to using and IDE as it would be to switch from using procedural style coding to object oriented coding. I will likely try using an IDE, likely Zend and see what I think.
Back to top
CanUuRead



Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct '06 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your intent is to use ZDE with Apache 2.2.3 and PHP 5.1.6 (with anything other than the stock handler from PHP.net - such as the handler from here or one you compile yourself), you have to use Zend Studio Server (comes with ZDE).

Once both are installed, start ZDE and Change the Preferences for the Debugger (Tools | Preferences | Debug) to:

Debug Mode: Server

Debug Server URL: http(s):// localhost/

You will also see that a file named dummy.php has been added to your web folder - make a copy of that file (in case of accidental deletion via a clean process - Yes, I deleted it not thinking once) as you need this to run the debugger.

Brian, Zend has a fully funtional trial for 30 or 60 days - More than enough time to evaluate.

If you write PHP professionally or want to maintain the integrity of your code, consider Zend Guard - not cheap, but definitely keeps people from leeching your coding efforts. It does a serious job of encoding and obfuscation.
Back to top
Jorge



Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Posts: 376
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct '06 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanUuRead wrote:
If your intent is to use ZDE with Apache 2.2.3 and PHP 5.1.6 (with anything other than the stock handler from PHP.net - such as the handler from here or one you compile yourself), you have to use Zend Studio Server (comes with ZDE).

Once both are installed, start ZDE and Change the Preferences for the Debugger (Tools | Preferences | Debug) to:

Debug Mode: Server

Debug Server URL: http(s):// localhost/

You will also see that a file named dummy.php has been added to your web folder - make a copy of that file (in case of accidental deletion via a clean process - Yes, I deleted it not thinking once) as you need this to run the debugger.

Brian, Zend has a fully funtional trial for 30 or 60 days - More than enough time to evaluate.

If you write PHP professionally or want to maintain the integrity of your code, consider Zend Guard - not cheap, but definitely keeps people from leeching your coding efforts. It does a serious job of encoding and obfuscation.


The output that Zend Guard spits out does it require Zend Optimizer to be installed to run the scripts?
Back to top
CanUuRead



Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct '06 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorge,

No, Zend Guard generates a random and complex encoding key, then applies it to your code. For people to use your code, they have to have the key. So you don't have to use Zend Optimizer. For some reason they try to bundle Guard with Optimizer...don't ask me why.

I've used it and it's pretty cool. If you look at the PHP script it is completely unrecognizable. As far as the key goes, you can set it expire after a certain period of time or to never expire. Again, Zend allows you to evaluate without purchasing...if you are curious download it and give it a try.
Back to top
Jorge



Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Posts: 376
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct '06 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanUuRead wrote:
Jorge,

No, Zend Guard generates a random and complex encoding key, then applies it to your code. For people to use your code, they have to have the key. So you don't have to use Zend Optimizer. For some reason they try to bundle Guard with Optimizer...don't ask me why.

I've used it and it's pretty cool. If you look at the PHP script it is completely unrecognizable. As far as the key goes, you can set it expire after a certain period of time or to never expire. Again, Zend allows you to evaluate without purchasing...if you are curious download it and give it a try.


Does it also ecrypt other files like regular htm and js file? about 80% of my code is JS in my latest project.
Back to top
CanUuRead



Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct '06 6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I last used it, it could encrypt almost anything you can think of.
Back to top
sb.net



Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Posts: 120
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov '06 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I have found that the best editor is Eclipse. It is so advanced, but it is 100% free. I like free. I am using it for all my sites now.

http://www.eclipse.org/
Back to top
liquid986



Joined: 17 Nov 2006
Posts: 4
Location: Budapest, Hungary

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov '06 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb.net wrote:
You know, I have found that the best editor is Eclipse. It is so advanced, but it is 100% free. I like free. I am using it for all my sites now.

http://www.eclipse.org/

I don't really like Eclipse because it stands on a Java Runtime which costs a lot of memory to use... IMHO anoter one, PHP Expert Editor is a nice one...
Back to top
sb.net



Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Posts: 120
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov '06 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sure, but eclipse runs on Mac, Windows, and Linux. I use them all. So I can easily move form one computer to the other with out change.
Back to top
underxp



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov '06 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using PHP Designer 2007, have one personal edition:
www.mpsoftware.dk
Back to top


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apache Forum Index -> Coding & Scripting Corner
Page 1 of 1