logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Eager to learn
Author
mikeblo17

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov '05 22:53    Post subject: Eager to learn Reply with quote

Hi, Question
maybe someone can help me. I have downloaded a version of apache. If I am not mistaken it is the latest version. I have a website through powweb but am learning how to program using php. I was told that if I wanted to develop locally I should download apache.

My question is, How do I configure Apache to run? I am not really that smart when it comes to this type of stuff and am trying to learn. If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it. I really want to get Apache up and running. Also does anyone have a recommendation as to what path I can take to be a good programmer? Keep in mind that I am still taking baby steps. Thanks again. Mike. Question
Very Happy
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov '05 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I assume you want to run a server on Windows ?

I see you are new to servers. I suggest you start with the Sambar server, it is far more easier to setup for a newbee/baby.

See www.sambarserver.info

Steffen
mikeblo17

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov '05 3:14    Post subject: RE: One More Thing! Reply with quote

Thanks Steffan,

I want to learn how to program and create better web pages. Is there anything on the web you would recommend for a newbie. thanks for your help. I will try the server you suggested. mic
Brian

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov '05 5:09    Post subject: Re: RE: One More Thing! Reply with quote

Hi Mikeblo17,

mikeblo17 wrote:
I want to learn how to program and create better web pages. Is there anything on the web you would recommend for a newbie. thanks for your help. I will try the server you suggested.

I was in your position about four years ago. I downloaded Apache and thought it was too hard to use so I eventually found Sambar Server. Indeed Sambar is a heck of a lot easier to learn to use at first, but with just a little extra effort, Apache can be as easy -or- easier to administrate than even Sambar.

For one thing, if you are running only a simple web server, maybe you need some dynamic content with SSI or PHP, then definitely once you have a basic Apache web server online you will find it incredibly easy to administrate.

Sambar offers a fantastic GUI (Graphical User Interface) but along with that it becomes a bit cluttered with the many options that are available. You have SMTP, IMAP, IRC, HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, WebDAV and so much more in one package with Sambar, and if all you want is a basic web server to start off, yes it is easy but Apache may be worth a little more time up front.

I say all that because four years later, and with some help from Steffen and many others along the way, I now have an Apache web server in my home hosting over 500 sub-domains, and over 110 domains.

Do you have a domain now?

Do you have a dedicated connection?

Do you have a computer that you can use as a web server?

Do you want to administrate your own mail server as well as web server?

Do you need any dynamic content capabilities via PHP, CGI/Perl, and/or SSI (SHTML)?

Basically, what are your needs?

Another thing to think about, I read your public profile, you are an iron worker. That is a brutal job. I used to own a painting business and I worked for several very large commercial painting firms. Years ago I worked in Minnesota when they were building the Mall of America, I set up some suspended scaffolding for iron workers to hang some large sections of architectural steal. So I do have an idea of where you are coming from, in some respects.

I hope that I may be of some help as well, just post any and all questions you may have.

--
Brian
mikeblo17

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov '05 7:08    Post subject: Web site? Reply with quote

thanks for your concern brian,
I definitely need some help. I have a website right now and a dedicated server. I use Powweb. My website is basically static and I want to learn how to write programs for my website in addition to websites that I will eventually get up and running. I will try samboro and let you know how it is turning out. I really don't know that much and am trying to get along and learn as I go. I use currently DW7 and don't have that much trouble creating web pages. I want to take it to the next level. Any help you can provide along the way will be really helpfull. Just try to remember that I am not fluent in computer talk, though I know more than your average guy. I am an Iron worker out of local 40 in nyc. notable jobs are Bearstern and 7 world trade center to name a couple. thanks brian. I wil be talking to you. If there is something I can do let me know. I want to get smatter. mic

Reply to topic   Topic: Eager to learn View previous topic :: View next topic