logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: update OpenSSL in old version of Apache on Windows
Author
blueth

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep '23 17:48    Post subject: update OpenSSL in old version of Apache on Windows Reply with quote

Hello

I have a legacy Apache application, running on Windows, that has modified the Apache source code.

I would like to upgrade the bundled OpenSSL in this application, to a more current version.

If you know of any company, or person, that could provide these services, I would greatly appreciate their contact information.

Thank you

Bob
blueth@attentionsoftware.com
tangent

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep '23 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of options here, but none of them are straightforward.

The main problem I see with trying to update the OpenSSL component of your customized Apache code, is that over time Apache source gets updated to accommodate later features of SSL functionality, e.g. mod_ssl, APR libraries, etc. That's in addition to bug fixes and basic enhancements to core Apache functionality. So I'd say it's not a given that your approach would therefore work.

You don't say which version of Apache your legacy application is running under, but presumably you have a copy of the customizations that were made to the code, hopefully along with documentation?

To which end, wouldn't it be better to integrate your customizations against the latest Apache source version, which could be built alongside the latest versions of OpenSSL. This would give you both updated functionally and supportability security wise.

For me, it would be better to implement this in-house if you're able, rather than being dependent on some external agency, not least of which you are best placed to test the customization features.

Apart from the official binary downloads on this site, there is a How-To section which includes building Apache from scratch with CMake. That approach would give you a framework to start developing your customized build.
blueth

PostPosted: Wed 04 Oct '23 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the prompt response.

Is there source code available (and the associated VC Workspace file), for the latest version of Apache, running on Windows?

The most recent Windows version I found on apache.org is 2.2.34, which is quite old. It will not have a new enough version of SSL to address the change of libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll, to libcrypto.dll and libssl.dll, respectively.

Thanks again.

Bob
tangent

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct '23 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the Apache source downloads available via https://httpd.apache.org, you'll find the latest code release as a compressed archive file, currently httpd-2.4.57.tar.gz. This archive does contain a DSW file, but it refers to VS 6.0, and hasn't been updated for a long time now.

The Apache site says:
Quote:
"The Apache HTTP Server Project itself does not provide binary releases of software, only source code. Individual committers may provide binary packages as a convenience, but it is not a release deliverable."

This is why sites such as the Apache Lounge produce pre-compiled Windows versions, including the relevant package dependencies, of which there are quite a few (including OpenSSL).

Those dependencies also need compiling and linking to produce the relevant support libraries to build Apache, e.g. zlib, pcre, apr, openssl, etc. So if you want to build your own version of Apache with additional custom code, and you want to automate that build process, you really need a scripted solution. CMake fills much of that requirement as a cross-platform build tool.

Hence my recommendation to look at the CMake based build How-To at https://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=8609

I use a Windows 11 Virtual Machine to build Apache from source using this How-To, producing both 32 and 64 bit builds.
blueth

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct '23 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.

I did look at the workspace file in the most recent distribution, and it is terribly out of date.

It didn't come close to building.

I will check out CMake, as you suggested.

All the best

Bob

Reply to topic   Topic: update OpenSSL in old version of Apache on Windows View previous topic :: View next topic