Forum Index Search Forum Register Log in

Runs on XP to Win 10

Current

Download 7.0

Download 7.1 Beta5 upgrade

A donation makes a contribution towards the time and effort that's going in to running this site.

Steffen

My mail address is
at the top of the paypal form :

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well.

Update your links !! November 2016 the forum is at www.apachelounge.com/sambar

In the forum there are links to sambarserver.info,
replace "sambarserver.info" with "apachelounge.com/sambar"
just stopped by to say hi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gussuk

PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep '20 20:50    Post subject: just stopped by to say hi Reply with quote

Still using the mail server. Not using the web server still too many people trying to hack into it so i just redirected the router to cyber space. It was only a hobby anyway. If someone needs one of my downloads i turn it on for a short time.
Some trying to hack the mail server but no one has gotten into it yet. With just one user me and a 16 character password good luck to them.

Anyway hello everyone I sure wish Tod would come back and resume his project it has been the best $100 I ever spent. I would gladly buy it again.
Johannes

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct '20 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

still using Sambar for mail and web and still happy with it. Running on Debian.
Did a few sites using sambar scripting in combination with the integrated sqlite db. It is sometimes a learning curve, but hey that is the fun of the projects. In fact , I am planing a new project using sambar scripting and sqlite to transfer my excel sheets from my oldtimer's repair cost to website access to have it easier accessible for me.

In addition, it is easy to use the built-in "Blog" to use it inside a normal website by just changing it from the design. heck, I listed even my posts sorted by year with the included scripting. Used the "Blog" on a few different websites I am hosting. Ok, for the posts, you have to be a bit familiar with coding, it is not as easy depending what you want to accomplish as the newer systems. But... I like the technical knowledge over the ease.

Take a look at https://www.my300se.ca.

My first sambar scripting project in combination with the built in sqlite db was a gas consumption site similiar to gasbuddy. With help from Randy here on the forum I got started and for my very small project it is working well.

I just like the versatile system of Sambar.
After all, as you said, it would be nice if Tod would resume his project. "Dreaming allowed" Smile

Johannes

Smile Smile
gussuk

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct '20 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing of coding that's why I like Sambar as it is all done and in one package.
I have no db's it's all just a hobby for me.
HTML has gone so far beyond what it was when I started my crumby little web pages are nothing now.
Johannes

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct '20 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I am not a big not even a goog coder, but over 10+ years it is adding up as I go. And it is a kinda hobby too. Not a big thing here either.

BTW what kind of downloads you are talking about ?

Enjoy Sambar as long as you can.

Johannes
gussuk

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct '20 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh the downloads were mostly technical manuals on small engines and military equipment. i was a diesel mechanic 40 years retired now but i like to watch for small equipment projects that i can buy fix up and sell again on craig's list. i visit a site called smokestak https://www.smokstak.com/ it's a forum of others that like fixing old engines and some times we can help each other out with manuals or parts. mostly old manuals that are not available anymore.

the web site was nice because none of the hackers were ever able to get into it i think because no one outside of us in this small group use it so they aren't familliar with it not like iis.

have others had any trouble with hackers? the mail server is being hit all the time but again i don't think anyone is familiar with it and i'm the only user and i use a 16 digit password.
Steffen

PostPosted: Thu 27 May '21 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. still using Sambar, and quite some members in your forum.

Indeed Sambar is not well known, and less hackers are trying.

I am running Apache ( www.apachelounge.com )

Thanks for let us know,

Steffen
gussuk

PostPosted: Thu 27 May '21 20:11    Post subject: Hobby Reply with quote

The whole thing started as a hobby for me and something new to learn about but I have been receiving my mail on Sambar so long now I don't know what I would do without it!!
I have an e-mail account with my ISP but reserve it for special purposes and it has ZERO spam and I want to keep it that way.
Thanks for the comment
Steve
In Alaska
Johannes

PostPosted: Mon 31 May '21 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steffen,

just looked up the forum out of boredom at lunch break and noticed new posts. Smile

Any idea how many users of this forum are still using Sambar ?

Did some scripting again with Sambar last week, as with Google's FLoC testing, I wanted to disable FLoC on a few of my websites. As this is not possible using a .htaccess file, as in Apache, I remembered that there is a scripting setting for headers. Just tested around a bit and got my additional HTTP Response Header working as expected.

Sambar - not dead yet. Even after Tod left it in Dec. 2007. 14 years now. Sad
Still a "Happy Camper". Very Happy

Johannes

Page 1 of 1