logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: no file list, straight to the site please
Author
Paul-ish

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan '06 6:50    Post subject: no file list, straight to the site please Reply with quote

whenever i navigate to my site it goes to /var/www/ and the gives me a list of files and folders but i just want it to go straight to /var/www/apache2-default/ so that it goes to the index file in that folder. how would i do that? PS is there any way to admin Apache with a GUI?
pnllan

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan '06 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your question, I'm guessing you are fairly new to using Apache. The Apache configuration file has good explainations for each directive; however, it is advisable to read the Apache manual as there is valuable information there. It looks like your Apache is NOT configured to your liking in two areas - the DocumentRoot and DirectoryIndex directives.

Open the HTTPD.CONF file, find the following directives and edit such that:

Quote:
DocumentRoot /var/www/apache2-default
- if this is the Directory that you want to form the main document tree visible from the web

Quote:
DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.php index.pl
- you can use default rather than index if you prefer. Again, the manual provides good information on this. By reading it, you will understand the current behavior of your server.

As far as GUI interfaces for Apache, I'm not sure about what looks like a *NIX system. I cannot remember exactly where it's at or its' name, but I know that there are two separate interface in the Gnome interface. When I run Apache on *NIX, I usually run it with a non-GUI interface (command line only). Maybe others will have more input.
Paul-ish

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan '06 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i got that, i found the URL here http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#documentroot but the problem is that do i put it in the HTTPD.CONF in sites-enabled or in one in the folder above that, because i already tried the one in sites-enabled and nothing happens.
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan '06 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you found an errormessage in the error log file?
Paul-ish

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan '06 2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Blond wrote:
Did you found an errormessage in the error log file?
no, nothing scince the 13th even, maybe something is wierd with that, cause i normal get favicon.ico error messages(the little book mark icon is a favicon) and so yea.
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan '06 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

which configure commands did you use? The folder struct seems to be linux, right? Maybe you forgot a command or mispellt it.
If you don't get the server running, compile it again. Try again.

Reply to topic   Topic: no file list, straight to the site please View previous topic :: View next topic