logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Hardware & Networking View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Accessing my server from external IP (a long read - sorry!)
Author
adamgf

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan '08 7:02    Post subject: Accessing my server from external IP (a long read - sorry!) Reply with quote

After almost an entire day of browsing forums, reading faq's/manuals, etc., I've finally caved and decided to post my question. I've found the question posted in plenty of other places, but haven't gotten anything to work for me. Here goes:

Apache 2.2
ActivePerl 5.8.8
MySQL 4.1
PHP5
WinXP SP2
Dell TrueMobile 2300 router

After installing and configuring the above I was able to get everything working within my network quite easily. I set the server name to localhost and have been accessing my site through that over the network.

Now that I have everything up and running, I'd like it to be accessible outside of my network, using a DDNS service like no-ip.com. I set up an account with them and was able to ping my ip through it externally (not through a website, people are accessing my computer while I'm running a game server which is running fine).

If it helps, the game server I am running is on ports 6112 and 6200. canyouseeme.org recognizes these ports as open, but no other.

I recently read that my particular ISP (Cablevision's Optimum Voice - New York Area) blocks ports 25 & 80. I've also read elsewhere that I can use no-ip.com's port 80 redirect service to get around this.

So now I'm stuck. I changed my IP settings in my http.conf file to listen to port 8080. I've forwarded port 8080 from my router to the computer I'm using. Now I can only access my site by using localhost:8080 or 127.0.0.1:8080 or 192.168.2.5:8080 (which is normal I think, now that I've changed it). I've set up my no-ip.com account to redirect port 80 to port 8080. But still, when someone outside of my network tries to connect to my no-ip.com domain they get nothing. No error, I think it just hangs.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but when I point to my external IP in a browser it brings me to my router control panel (which is installed on a different computer on the network). If I point to the computer it's on (192.168.2.1) it does the same. This is fine with me, I'm just wondering if it is interfering with what I'm trying to do.

Sorry about the long-winded first post, but of all the questions that I read elsewhere the most common problem was that the OP was not specific enough. I hope I'm not leaving anything out.

http://animox.no-ip.biz/

UPDATE: I had a friend test it again recently and he's getting a message in the browser after it redirects to xx.xx.xx.xx:8080 (xx.xx.xx.xx being my external IP) saying it can't connect. I've opened port 8080 manually on the computer I'm hosting on and have the IP set to 192.168.2.5. I've also forwarded port 8080 to the hosting computer. I haven't opened port 8080 on the other computer connected to the router. Does this matter?
gethip1

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr '11 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
friend thanks for your information

Reply to topic   Topic: Accessing my server from external IP (a long read - sorry!) View previous topic :: View next topic