logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Hardware & Networking View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: [SOLVED] can't access Apache from WAN?
Author
jsmizza

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun '17 21:10    Post subject: [SOLVED] can't access Apache from WAN? Reply with quote

* first post *

Hi all,

Not sure, but I think I've messed-up either my Apache config or my LAN DNS config.

Problem: cannot access my Wordpress site from WAN. LAN is fine. If I try to access my site from the WAN - timeouts. No response from the server.

Code:
$ apache2 -v
Server version: Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu)
Server built:   May  9 2017 16:14:10

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
Release:        14.04
Codename:       trusty

The only change I made to Apache before noticing this problem was to edit my .conf to try to limit responses to only those where the website was mentioned. I was attempting to reject all requests where only my Public IP was used.

When I noticed this problem, I thought I had reverted my changes back, but maybe not? Here's the head of my current site config file after reversion:
Code:
$ head /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.conf | sed 's|blog.*|blog\.com|'
<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
        ServerName blog.com

DocumentRoot /var/www
        <Directory />
                Options FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
        </Directory>
        <Directory /var/www/>

I can see the usual array of hack requests coming in from the WAN being logged in my Apache log file, but any WAN request for my site is NOT logged. <confused>

To test, I created a blank site on another PC in my LAN, modified my router to point to the new PC, and no problem. Works fine. I can access that blank site from the WAN and LAN.

Thank you to anyone who can offer advice here.

Last edited by jsmizza on Wed 13 Sep '17 21:39; edited 1 time in total
jsmizza

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun '17 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Just a follow up 2 weeks later. No change at this end. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun '17 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you use portforwarding in your router?
Did you try a different port number? Some ISP block port 80 and some routers will show only their internal page.
jsmizza

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun '17 19:25    Post subject: Re: can't access Apache from WAN? Reply with quote

jsmizza wrote:
I can see the usual array of hack requests coming in from the WAN being logged in my Apache log file, but any WAN request for my site is NOT logged. <confused>

To test, I created a blank site on another PC in my LAN, modified my router to point to the new PC, and no problem. Works fine. I can access that blank site from the WAN and LAN.
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul '17 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you configure your LAN DNS than?
jsmizza

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul '17 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using DNSMasq in DD-WRT.

All LAN client DNS point to router.

Router DNS points to 8.8.8.8

This is something that has been working for years, and the only change I made was on the server. All devices on my LAN are resolving DNS correctly.

I guess I was hoping that by posting my apache site config file, someone familiar with the structure could check it and tell me if it is correct.
jsmizza

PostPosted: Wed 13 Sep '17 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick follow-up on this.

This problem was caused by my overly-cautious IDS/IPS blocking the external IP addresses I was testing my site from and also blocking the various online site-checkers too. (sigh)

Reconfigured my IDS/IPS and now it all works again.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct '17 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reporting back

Reply to topic   Topic: [SOLVED] can't access Apache from WAN? View previous topic :: View next topic