logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> News & Hangout View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Coming weekend switch to new server, AL temp unavailable
Author
Steffen

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct '11 22:01    Post subject: Coming weekend switch to new server, AL temp unavailable Reply with quote

All is ready to make the switch, including the UPS.

When everything is going as expected, the site is down for max 5 minutes.

The new server, a Dell PowerEdge, has very nice specs (eg. Xeon E3) and runs Windows 2008 R2 SP1. The old server (also Dell PowerEdge) is from september 2003 (quite old), and is still runing 24/7 Apachelounge after 8 years.

Steffen
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct '11 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you happy with the new server?
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct '11 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it is running oh so good. Till now rock stable. Special Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 runs very fine and I trust the Dell.

The server is a Dell PowerEdge, see PowerEdge T110 II.
Added a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 card because the standard Matrox is a horrible 8MB. So all now with Aero Peak.

Quite more CPU cycles and memory now, no need to tweak things for performance to the last byte anymore. PHP scripts generate now more then 4 times faster.

Also using Hyper-V, ideal for testing, have a XP and a Win7 virtual machine. Has no impact on server, enough room.

So, a happy guy here who hopes to serve all you even better now.

Steffen
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct '11 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must confess that over the internet that it isn't faster than before. The biggest impact was when you upgraded your internet connection.

I wonder that the power supply has only 305 watts.
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct '11 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, a fast Internet connection is very important.

The UPS says that the whole server including monitor, router and fiber modem uses ~75 Watt. When I eg. Winrar a big file or do a CPU stress test with AIDA64 it max out to ~135 Watt, all CPU's are then 100% used.

Nowadays the components are very power friendly, special the new Intel E3 Xeon processor. And the NVDIA GTS 250 video card rates at a max of 29 Watt, I never get to that with the server, not playing games.

btw,
The server has no sound standard, using External USB Sound Card. Works great.

Steffen
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct '11 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound card on a server?
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct '11 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. Some proggies are given sound warnings, like UPS and other monitoring warnings.

And.. The standard windows sounds are a value for me.

Steffen

Reply to topic   Topic: Coming weekend switch to new server, AL temp unavailable View previous topic :: View next topic