logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Other Software View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: php performance optimization
Author
shnazz

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep '06 23:16    Post subject: php performance optimization Reply with quote

Hi all,

First I wanted to say that this site has been a GREAT resource for my WAMP setups.

I have a development web server using the php 5.1.6 and apache 2.2.3 from this site, with some pretty hefty php scripts being run. CPU utilization sometimes gets scary, but the pages always get served. My tests have pointed me in the direction of php being the cpu hog, but I have not used any kind of software to do this, just common sense (if there is a good resource to determine this...). I am going to be using these php scripts on a live server that WILL be getting a lot more traffic. The live site will be hosted on a more powerful server, but the cpu utilization still worries me.

I have seen many php code optimizers, like Zend Optimizer, Zend Studio, turck mmcache and apc. Which one has turned out to work the best in your various experiences?

The Zend Optimizer and Zend Platform have system requirements of "Apache 2.0.x (compiled in prefork mode only!)" and my understanding is that windows is compiled with mpm_winnt not prefork. I have seen posts of ppl here using Zend Optimizer; how is this possible? Also does Zend Platform optimize performance more than the Zend Optimizer?

Any specific and/or general help would be greatly appreciated

- shnazz
Jorge

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep '06 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've used a few of these before... Zend Optimizer gave me the best results (the prefork notice is only for unix compatible systems, there is a windows version aswel).

Although carful scripting can reduce load as wel.

First make the client cache as much as possible... content only change on avg. of 10 min? cache it for 5 and stuff like that.
Steffen

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep '06 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zend Optimizer is not cashing. You can just download it at www.zend.com/downloads it is free and works under apache with the standard mpm_winnt .

I have have the most success with APC, works great here at the ApacheLounge, see www.apachelounge.com/article.php?sid=67.

Turck mmcache is not developed anymore a good fork is eAccelerator, see http://eaccelerator.net/ .

Steffen
Jorge

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep '06 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffen wrote:
Zend Optimizer is not cashing.

Steffen

that not what i was implying...

I said if you code your scripts carfully a lot of caching can be done at the client side to reduce load on your server Smile but its a lot of work though.
shnazz

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep '06 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone ahead and configured APC and have noticed some nice speed increases. I ran into some namespace issues, but resolved these. Thank you.

I am still curious about the differences between Zend Optimizer, APC, and Zend Platform from a performance optimization perspective.

Thanks again!

- shnazz

Reply to topic   Topic: php performance optimization View previous topic :: View next topic