logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Other Software View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2 and tomcat 5
Author
olafkb

PostPosted: Wed 13 Sep '06 16:43    Post subject: Apache 2 and tomcat 5 Reply with quote

Hello,

on a win 2000 server runs apache 2 and tomcat 5.
In the generated html-pages are hex-chars where in the jsp-template were the <include>-tags.
On an other win 2000 server with IIS and tomcat 5 are no problems.

When I'm looking at the URI with a client behind a proxy, the characters are filtered out. When I look direct outside our net to the URI I see the hex-chars.

Have anybody seen this before?

Thanks

Olaf
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep '06 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you configure the proxy?
olafkb

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep '06 14:51    Post subject: it seems to be chunked encoding Reply with quote

when I look around this error, it looks like a problem with chunked encoding (I never heard this before). Now I'm looking for how to turn chunked encoding on or off. Who can help me?

The Proxyconfiguration is not important, because the result is the same with different proxy server.
tdonovan

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep '06 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no config directive to turn chunked encoding on or off in Apache.

Your problem is unlikely to be chunked encoding, because the chunked-encoding filter should not know where your jsp tags were located.
Tomcat should process the <jsp:include> tags, and Apache should only see the resulting HTML as one continuous string of characters.

It sounds like it might be a charset problem.
Could your main page be in one charset, but your <jsp:include>'d pages be in another charset?

Sometimes it helps to use Telnet to retrieve the page and examine the characters, like this:
Quote:
telnet {servername} 80
GET /{your_tomcat_page} HTTP/1.1
Host: {servername}

Be sure to type an extra blank line after the Host: header.
Also, when you type the input to telnet it does not echo what you type - so type carefully.

Hope this helps,
-tom-
olafkb

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep '06 14:42    Post subject: Response Header has the only information "200 OK" Reply with quote

now I installed php on the system.
If I open a simple phpinfo.php I get the answer as html source code and there inside are hex values.

If I look with the firefox extension WebDeveloper in "Information - View Response Header" I get the answer

Code:
Response Headers - http://www.xxxxxx.xx/phpinfo.php

200 OK

But where are all the other Response header informations?
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep '06 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which header you wanted to get too?
olafkb

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep '06 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

A header looks like this.

Code:

Response Headers - http://www.xxxxxx.xx/phpinfo.php

Content-Type: text/html
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:09:06 GMT
Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Win32) PHP/5.1.6 DAV/2
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.1.4

200 OK
Jorge

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep '06 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

try:

start->run->telnet yourserver 80
HEAD / HTTP1/1<return><return>

I get:

Code:

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:23:48 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Win32) PHP/5.1.6 DAV/2 mod_perl/2.0.2 Perl/v5.8.6
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.1.6
Content-Encoding: gzip
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Content-Length: 454
Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=99
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Language: en

200 OK
tdonovan

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep '06 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

For PHP - I noticed that your Server header says PHP/5.1.6, but your X-Powered-By header says PHP/5.1.4.
Are you using a mis-matched php5apache2.dll and PHP installation?

The Proxy-Connection header in your last post indicates that you are connecting through a proxy instead of connecting directly to your Apache server.
Does the problem only occur when you go through the proxy?
If so - maybe you are right about chunked-encoding. Perhaps your proxy doesn't handle it well.

It would be useful to try the 'telnet' test both ways - from a browser which can connect directly to your Apache server, and then from a browser which goes through the proxy.
Be sure to use GET instead of HEAD so you can examine the entire response for hex characters. HEAD will only show you the response headers.

If you change HTTP/1.1 to HTTP/1.0 when you try the telnet test - this will prevent chunked-encoding from being applied. If your responses do not contain hex characters with HTTP/1.0, this would seem to confirm your suspicion about the proxy and chunked encoding.

-tom-
olafkb

PostPosted: Tue 26 Sep '06 13:34    Post subject: The answer to this problem was our firewall Reply with quote

There were no problem with the proxy or apache/tomcat settings, the problem was our firewall.
In the watchguard-firewall we aktivate that following settings and it works:

Rule name: Java Bytecode
Rule Settings: Pattern Match - %0xcafebabe%*
Rule Actions: Deny

But what I not understand is, before we run the same application on a IIS with win2000 server and had no problems. We only change from IIS to Apache.
I don't understand that, but I'am happy to solved the problem.

Thanks for your help

Olaf

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2 and tomcat 5 View previous topic :: View next topic