logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: How to update Apache HTTPD on Linux CentOS?
Author
man_of_culture

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr '24 15:59    Post subject: How to update Apache HTTPD on Linux CentOS? Reply with quote

Apache Server Current version 2.4.46 (i want update to latest version)
CentOS 8.3.2011

I need help updating my Apache server to the latest version on CentOS 8.3.2011 while keeping all configuration files intact.
Can anyone guide me on how to do this safely without losing any settings?
tangent

PostPosted: Fri 26 Apr '24 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing that Centos is now End Of Life, there are no official package updates any more, which includes Apache. Therefore, there's no straightforward yum/dnf update that you can use to upgrade the HTTPD package.

Whatever you do, unless you've substantially tweaked Apache, the configuration files included from /etc/httpd/conf.d/* will be the prime files you'll need to carry forward.

One option might be to download the latest httpd RPM for an alternative Linux distribution, logically Fedora (Google is you friend), extract the package files somewhere and then selectively update your local files accordingly.

You can use 'rpm -ql package' to list the files from a named installed package (e.g. httpd.x86_64), and 'rpm -qlp file.rpm' to list the files from a downloaded rpm file. If you compare (diff) the two you can work out the differences and update accordingly.

There's no guarentee this approach will work (there may be shared library compatiblity issues and the like), but it's an option nonetheless.

Let us know how you get on.
man_of_culture

PostPosted: Tue 30 Apr '24 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. It helped me make the decision not to try anything, as there is software that has been in use since 2020 that is very specific. The operating system and most of the installed packages won't be able to be updated because the 'specific software' hasn't been updated for a while because of a matter of contracts between institutions and companies, but it is still used. I wanted to try to mitigate vulnerabilities by updating Apache and other packages, but I can see that it's too risky. I'll think about it more, thanks.
tangent

PostPosted: Wed 01 May '24 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not an uncommon problem. Over time I've come across a number of applications hosted on legacy platforms that can't be updated any more.

The best solution I can recommend is to set up another instance of Apache on a supported platform, configured as a reverse proxy to your legacy application. Sure, you'll have to update DNS to point the application service to the proxy, but that's simple enough, once the proxy route has been thoroughly tested.
man_of_culture

PostPosted: Fri 03 May '24 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, I now have an idea of what can be done.

Reply to topic   Topic: How to update Apache HTTPD on Linux CentOS? View previous topic :: View next topic