logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Third-party Modules View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Rails development: mod_ruby or any other advice?
Author
liquid986

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov '06 20:38    Post subject: Rails development: mod_ruby or any other advice? Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

I'm quite new to Apache configuration and interpreter definitions. I'm planning to make a new site built on Ruby On Rails.

I have used Mongrel HTTP server (built on Ruby) but it's not recommended in real environment (it has scaling problems), so i decided to switch to Apache.

First I tried to get a working copy of mod_fastcgi for Apache 2.2.3, but no one seemed to work, so i have downloaded and installed mod_fcgid (v2-win32) what I have found on Apache Lounge:

It seems to work, the Apache service hopefully starts now. (Huhh... Smile)

Does somebody have experiences with Rails and Apache? Some sites say that mod_ruby works fine, some say not. Anyone who has experiences? I don't really need performance issues, and I have to use MySQL as well. (I've read somewhere that using mod_ruby will result in MySQL problems)

I've got this development environment:

- Windows XP Professional (SP2) x86
- Apache for Windows 2.2.3 (with no ssl - the official release)
- PHP 5.2.0
. MySQL 5.0.22 (Community Edition)
- Ruby 1.8.5.21
- Rails Framework 1.1.6

The production one will be similar, but with FreeBSD OS.

Thanks for your advice!
Liquid
liquid986

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov '06 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is what i've found about mod_ruby:

Using mod_ruby

This is not recommended when using Rails. Rails is independant and does not need mod_ruby to run.Mod_ruby is an alternative way of using Ruby to create web applications. You can use mod_ruby as CGI and have web pages containing Ruby code interpreted natively by Apache2. Mod_ruby does not have the set MVC that Rails uses and many other tools that make quick work of creating a web application. It might be best if you decide to use mod_ruby to stop at this point and not install rubyonrails. This is because we are trying to get a development server going that is similar to a web hosting enviroment and not many web hosts are going to use both mod_ruby and rubyonrails. There is also the fact that a *.dll for windows use of mod_ruby to this date does not exist. Mod_ruby installation would include compiling under windows using cygwin and other tools. This probably accounts for a good portion of the popularity of RubyOnRails.

- Hiveminds Magazine

Reply to topic   Topic: Rails development: mod_ruby or any other advice? View previous topic :: View next topic