logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: apache parent process going crazy
Author
rluengo

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan '07 23:57    Post subject: apache parent process going crazy Reply with quote

Hi,

Yesterday night my server hung up and only responded to a hardware reset, i found a bunch of event id 333 and 2019 in the logs.

When i looked at the nonpaged memory utilization i found that the apache parent process is using more than 4gb! and the behavior is pretty weird, if i restart the apache the NP pool utilization begins at 30k and goes down to 0k, then it jumps to 4gb and the server gets slower until it doesn't respond.

Please help, i can not find a solution for this, the only thing left is uninstalling and reinstall the apache.

The only thing that happened this days where a few security updates for the windows.

I am using Windows 2003 R2, Apache 2.0.55, PHP 5.0 and Tomcat 5.0, which could be the problem?
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan '07 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

event id 333
event id 2019

Do run MS Exchange?
rluengo

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan '07 13:47    Post subject: No Reply with quote

No, there is not Microsoft Exchange in this server...
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan '07 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second thing I can think of is a huge PHP application or mass access on php pages. If it is caused by PHP you maybe can use fastcgi (depending on your scripts)
rluengo

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan '07 20:31    Post subject: Nop Reply with quote

There's only one PHP site in the server and it does not have a lot of traffic.

Either way i disabled the php and the server is still going down.

I changed the apache too, from 2.0 to 2.2 and still have the same problem.

Any other ideas?
chad

PostPosted: Wed 16 May '07 19:59    Post subject: RE: Non-Paged pool memory Reply with quote

We are having a similar issue the non-paged pool memory usage is growing and growing. The server is responding but not as fast as we would like. I'm hesitant to say responding slow because we do not have any metrics to back up that claim.

Will someone point us in the direction of something to check to track down the issue? Error messages to look for, Event ID numbers in Windows Event log, something??

Thanks for any guidance.
tdonovan

PostPosted: Wed 16 May '07 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: "Error messages to look for, Event ID numbers in Windows Event log"

There are literally hundreds of each, and which ones might trigger excessive nonpage memory usage is hard to know.

Rather than ask us to guess all the ones it might be - it is probably more useful to post the error messages and event IDs that you are actually getting.

The site http://www.eventid.net/search.asp is helpful to look up Windows event IDs that you find in EventViewer if the short message shown isn't clear enough.

Another good test is to start Apache from the command line as:
Code:
C:\Apache2\bin> httpd.exe -w -e debug
and see if this produces better messages (or maybe even prevents the nonpage memory use).

If you are getting Windows event 333, like the original poster, it may be worthwhile to open the Control-panel Services applet, double-click the Apache service, and check the Allow service to interact with desktop box in the Log On tab. This might enable a Windows popup which better explains the problem.

-tom-
mhilliard

PostPosted: Tue 04 Sep '07 2:43    Post subject: Re: apache parent process going crazy Reply with quote

Rluengo,
We have a new Windows 2003 server with a PHP 5.x/MySQL app that is behaving the same way as your server. Apache servers pages fine, then when look in Task manger you can see memory taken by Apache.exe is growing, growing, until for us it reaches about 4-500MB then stops server pages to requests.

Did you ever come up with a solution or find the problem? We have tried many versions of Apache 2.0.x to 2.2.4 and PHP v 5.x.x to newest and we keep getting same problems.

Any info you can share? Thanks!

mark H.

rluengo wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday night my server hung up and only responded to a hardware reset, i found a bunch of event id 333 and 2019 in the logs.

When i looked at the nonpaged memory utilization i found that the apache parent process is using more than 4gb! and the behavior is pretty weird, if i restart the apache the NP pool utilization begins at 30k and goes down to 0k, then it jumps to 4gb and the server gets slower until it doesn't respond.

Please help, i can not find a solution for this, the only thing left is uninstalling and reinstall the apache.

The only thing that happened this days where a few security updates for the windows.

I am using Windows 2003 R2, Apache 2.0.55, PHP 5.0 and Tomcat 5.0, which could be the problem?

Reply to topic   Topic: apache parent process going crazy View previous topic :: View next topic