logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Want to access my server from the internet ?
Author
inf0rm3r

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct '07 11:23    Post subject: Want to access my server from the internet ? Reply with quote

I've recently installed apache, php and mysql following the tutorial located below:

http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=1372

Everything appears to be working fine and I can navigate the site locally. However I have no idea how to access it online or what to enter to access it online.

Firstly I tried simply going to whatismyip.com and typing it into the address bar and asking a neighbor on msn to do it aswell, nothing loaded. Then i tried adding my ip with an extra :80 on the end, still nothing. So I went reading through a few threads on this site and found out that some ISP's block the ports needed. So I rang my isp up and turns out they block ports 80, 25, 135, 139, 161, 445. Sadly this includes port 80 which is obviously needed Sad

What I want to know is how to access my server from the internet, and if there is a workaround instead of using port 80. Sorry if I sound like a nub, I'm new at this stuff Razz
tdonovan

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct '07 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unfortunately common for ISPs to block port 80.

You can change the Listen directive in conf\httpd.conf to use a different port.

For example, you could use port 81:
Code:
Listen 81

You will need to add :81 to your IP address whenever you access your site externally.

Also - if you have a router which you set to forward port 80, remember to make your router forward port 81 instead.

-tom-
inf0rm3r

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct '07 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've changed Listen to 81 in my http.conf file and port forwarded my router to port 81 instead of 80. Rebooted the router and the computer then I went to www.whatismyip.com got my ip and typed it into the address bar and added :81 to the end and nothing Sad

But what I have noticed is occasionally my IP changes and I don't know what to do next, can anyone help?

Thanks for your help tdonovan aswell, appreciated.
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct '07 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

first thing you should try is to ping your self.

open the commandline (cmd.exe) and ping _YOUR_EXTERNAL_IP_

If you get a signal you'll and still can't reach apache. Disable all firewalls inclusive the windows firewall. Try again!
inf0rm3r

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct '07 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ping myself, I get a response on all 4 occassions at 1 or 2 ms. I don't have any firewalls and I have windows firewall disabled. However I just noticed something. Whenever I change the line Listen 80 in the config and restart the server nothing works, the index doesn't load but when its set to port 80 it loads the index file.

Code:

#
# Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or
# ports, instead of the default. See also the <VirtualHost>
# directive.
#
# Change this to Listen on specific IP addresses as shown below to
# prevent Apache from glomming onto all bound IP addresses (0.0.0.0)
#
#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
Listen 80

Also when I enter my ip address into the address bar I simply get my router login and password. Is this normal? For the record, I have a D-Link 502-T router.
mcole

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct '07 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Also when I enter my ip address into the address bar I simply get my router login and password. Is this normal? For the record, I have a D-Link 502-T router.

Some routers (my Belkni for example) will not let you "talk to yourself" via the internet ie. they don't allow you to route out through the internet and back to your own (wan) IP. Problem is that they think they are being clever by spotting packets addressed to your own IP and "short circuiting" them. Result is you either see your routers own setup page or some sort of error or a blank screen.

Best way to test a site when your router does this is to use one of the free proxy servers such as http://iphide.com/ to browse to your ip. Look up your IP, go to the proxy and stick http://your_ip (or http://your_ip:port) in and see what happens.
inf0rm3r

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct '07 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have followed the steps you've mentioned and the page loads through the iphide site. Is there any possible way I can prevent my router from doing this without using a proxy?
Mitron

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct '07 22:51    Post subject: Re: Want to access my server from the internet ? Reply with quote

inf0rm3r wrote:

Firstly I tried simply going to whatismyip.com and typing it into the address bar and asking a neighbor on msn to do it aswell, nothing loaded. Then i tried adding my ip with an extra :80 on the end, still nothing. So I went reading through a few threads on this site and found out that some ISP's block the ports needed. So I rang my isp up and turns out they block ports 80, 25, 135, 139, 161, 445. Sadly this includes port 80 which is obviously needed Sad

Wow, ISP's are still blocking ports now a days? They stopped doing that around here several years ago. You might try asking them to unblock ports 80, 25 and 21 so you could run Web, FTP and SMTP servers unless it's against your terms and conditions to do so. If that's the case, you could possibly loose your service if they find out.

My suggestion would be to find another ISP that allows that sort of thing first. Also, if you are stuck with a Dynamic IP instead of static, you might look into Zone Edit in order to map your domain to your Dynamic IP.
inf0rm3r

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct '07 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I will give Zone edit a go and come back. Anyone know if its possible to fix this?

Quote:
Problem is that they think they are being clever by spotting packets addressed to your own IP and "short circuiting" them.

Reply to topic   Topic: Want to access my server from the internet ? View previous topic :: View next topic