logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 1.3.39 & mod_ssl.so
Author
JohnQuixote

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec '07 23:26    Post subject: Apache 1.3.39 & mod_ssl.so Reply with quote

I'm desperately looking for the binary mod_ssl.so and supporting files for Apache v 1.3.39 for Windows. I've run into dead ends all over the place. Does anyone have a link to a download for these files?

Thanks!

John
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec '07 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apache 1.3 is really out of date! You should update to 2.2.x

If you still want to use the old 1.3 with SSL download from apache-ssl org mirror

See also here for a setup tutorial
JohnQuixote

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec '07 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links!

It's a company requirement, not my own choice... Unfortunately that link goes from Apache v1.3.37 to v2.0.59, and skips over v1.3.39.

Are there any other locations?
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec '07 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is http://www.apache-ssl.org/, but there is only the source and no binaries.
JohnQuixote

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec '07 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses. I'm hoping that there is somewhere to access these files I need. I can't image them not being available.
glsmith

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec '07 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historically, you can NOT get Apache 1.3.x with SSL, not from ASF anyway. ASF has never distributed such a beast and I have no clue as to why. You couldn't get 1.3 or 2.x with it untill more recently due to US export restrictions on encryption (OpenSSL). I am sure it now has something to do with modssl.org themselves and distribution rights/conditions. This is the only difference at this point in the game that I can see. One is patched from modssl.org supplied patch (1.3) and the others are not (2.x).

Third party providers of this beast have either gone away (OpenSA Project), haven't moved on 1.3.39 (http://www.gknw.net/development/apache/), or migrated up at this point (can't find that link). 1.3.40 is on the horizon as well and all things considered, I think you will be back to square one again.

Being a long time 2.x refusenic, I was forced to compile Apache myself in the end to get a 1.3 SSL Apache. So that you cannot find this doesn't surprise me. Heck 1.3.37 was my last build of that tree. With a small exception I skipped the entire 2.0 tree. There's a reason there are 61 revisions in the what, 20 revisions to 1.3 in that same time frame. I saw the trend early on. It's a chore to gather all the stuff like a good little squirrel and compile every time a new security fix version of it or OpenSSL come out.

Now, with the history, and reality of the future, I think you can make a case for moving on with whomever in the company has made this decision. I can however understand a truly needed, life couldn't go on without module that has not been ported to at minimum 2.0.x. On the Win32 platform however, this is hard for me to believe.

EDIT:

and oh yeah, ASF really wants to drop 1.3. Only security fixes will be done till they can drop it.

EDIT2:

From a company standpoint, I would not trust a 3rd party build of mod_ssl/OpemSSL anyway. It introduces an added layer of risk.
SquallATF

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec '07 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://squallatf.vicp.net/Apache_1.3.39-Mod_SSL_2.8.30-Openssl_0.9.8g-Win32.zip
upedate:
http://squallatf.vicp.net/Apache_1.3.41-Mod_SSL_2.8.31-Openssl_0.9.8h.7z
build with VC6 Microsoft Platform SDK February 2003

I have try to build it with vs2008,modfile a little source and build success but it can't be run well~~

Last edited by SquallATF on Thu 29 May '08 17:04; edited 2 times in total
JohnQuixote

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec '07 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, glsmith, and Squall.

Squall, That link is not working.

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 1.3.39 & mod_ssl.so View previous topic :: View next topic