logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Hardware & Networking View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Dlink DGL-4100 Can't access server outside LAN
Author
SpecialKornflake

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr '07 15:52    Post subject: Dlink DGL-4100 Can't access server outside LAN Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm trying to set up a home server and I'm running into the same problem that many other people are: I can access my server from the LAN but not from the Internet. Rather than drive myself more insane than I already am, perhaps if I show all my configurations a much more knowledgeable person can aid me.

Computer OS: Windows XP Professional SP2
Living situation: Apartment where everyone has Cable Internet Access
LAN: Two computers, connected to the router which is connected to the cable modem.
ISP: velocityonline.net (I called and they reportedly don't block port 80)
Router: Dlink DGL-4100
Apache Version: 2.2.4
Apache Configuration File:
Listen: 80
Listen: 443
Listen: 4346 (random port to get around any possible blocking elsewhere)
Servername: cornfield.getmyip.com

<>The main issue I don’t have a clue on, when I go into my router’s configuration, it lists its WAN IP address as a different one than when I go to whatismyipaddress.com.

Whatismyipaddress.com: 216.162.43.33
Router WAN: 10.42.5.219

<>I’ve gone to https://www.dyndns.com and set up the free Dynamic DNS service. I’ve registered a name of cornfield.getmyip.com (example). I’ve gone on the second computer in my LAN, pinged cornfield.getmyip.com and get a 0ms average response time. I can browse to my Apache Directory from both computers using my internal IP address of 192.168.0.128:4346 and :80 and :443. I can also use cornfield.com. cornfieldgetmyip.com is currently configured to connect to the Router WAN of 10.42.5.219.

<>I’ve set up my home computer, hopeful server, to have a static LAN IP address of 192.168.0.128. I’ve selected the DNS Servers that my ISP uses as found on their website and entered them into the same area.. http://www.velocityonline.net/techsupp/faqs/faqconn.html#q2
I’ve disabled the windows firewall.

<>I’ve gone into my network settings and right-clicked my computer’s internet and opened the ports 80, 443, and 4346 for both TCP and UDP. I have “internet connection” listed above the LAN connection. I didn’t configure the LAN connection, only the one listed as internet connection, separated above the LAN connection.

<>I’ve set up port forwarding on my router. Since it is a gaming router, port forwarding seems to be called, “Adding a Game Rule”. I’m forwarding ports 80, 443, and 4346, TCP and UDP to my internal computer’s IP address of 192.168.0.128 The manual can be found here: http://www.speedguide.net/broadband-view.php?hw=78
There are several other features on the router about Web Servers that I’m not sure about.
I followed the directions on http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DGL-4100/Apache.htm

<>I’ve taken the computer, hopeful server, and set it to be in the DMZ of my router.

I’d be quite happy to have this working by using an IP address to access my server over the Internet, without having a Domain Name.

I think this is all the information that I have or know to provide. Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited by SpecialKornflake on Thu 26 Apr '07 2:11; edited 1 time in total
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr '07 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you reach your apache from the internet from your domain name? Or do I got you wrong?
SpecialKornflake

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr '07 2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply, I seem to have identified my problem, but I don't see any sort of viable solution. My apartment complex seems to be assigned only a single IP address and it assigns a 10.x.x.x number to each of the apartments. My router then only sees this 10.x.x.x number and not the real IP address, the IP address that whatismyip.com sees. When I go to 216.162.156.20 I only get to my apartment complex router, then it doesn't know where to send the request. I can't configure this router. Any possible solutions? Thanks!
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr '07 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only solution would to configure the complex router that it forward Port 80 to your router and your router will forward it to your server. Else no chance!

Reply to topic   Topic: Dlink DGL-4100 Can't access server outside LAN View previous topic :: View next topic