logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Hardware & Networking View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Domain Name Registry ?
Author
webmaster4o

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb '15 19:12    Post subject: Domain Name Registry ? Reply with quote

How much of the following is possible to do for free?

1) Register ylor.us (it's not taken)

2) Use Apache to host a website here, from a raspberry pi

3) Use some kind of workaround to my dynamic IP address.

4) My main goal: host an email account on this domain name. My name is Luke Taylor, and I want to have the email of luket@ylor.us :)

I also am curious about the domain registry process. Why Does it cost money everywhere I look? Do I need to pay a service? How do web hosting companies register new domains for clients?
glsmith

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb '15 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No (except for .tk), but there are other options. Lots of free subdomains available.
2. Your Pi cost money, the OS may or may not cost money, Apache typically doesn't.
3. It's called Dynamic DNS, some are free, some are not.
4. I see no question here.

---

A: Because it costs money to maintain the system.
B: In almost all cases, see #1.
C: They are either accredited registrars or have a contractual relationship with one and they make up the costs through the web hosting fees.

Note: When it comes to completely free, you have to keep in mind you get what you pay for. Paid services usually can be counted on for a better level of service. Most free services do not last for long. That's not to say all free services are crap or will be gone tomorrow however.

P.S. There's nothing like Google to get much more detailed answers.
webmaster4o

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb '15 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. This helps a lot. I already have a raspberry pi, and now I've installed Apache.

Reply to topic   Topic: Domain Name Registry ? View previous topic :: View next topic