logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> How-to's & Documentation & Tips View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: new windows 10 power shell trick for command
Author
shaggy

PostPosted: Wed 03 May '17 23:35    Post subject: new windows 10 power shell trick for command Reply with quote

For those of you that update your computer regularly and you have windows 10 then you'll have the creature update that installed windows powershell as replacement to command. Here is a little trick I found to get command back. WARNING THIS'LL only get command back while in use and not back back, like removing powershell period and going back to command.

This is just a trick I found.

1.) Right click on the windows logo.
2.) Either command (admin) or command (without admin)
3.) Powershell will pull up instead of command like it used to be.
4.) No biggy just type in "cmd" and then press enter. And that session and that session only will flip back to command. Be advised that your powershell window will flicker. This is common.

Just a little trick I found. You CANNOT control apache using powershell yet.
glsmith

PostPosted: Thu 04 May '17 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not really related to Apache so I'm moving it to How-to's & Documentation & Tips.

While I don't have Windows 10, I have tried it and I also remember this problem. What I did was this and it was permanent, at least for the three days I played with Win 10. I'm doing this off memory from over a year ago so it might not be exact, but you'll get the idea.

Right click on your desktop and choose New -> Shortcut.
Enter cmd on the first screen of the dialog, click next.
You should see in the next page of the dialog it already figured out you want cmd.exe, Click Next or Finish.

Now you have a shortcut to cmd.exe on your desktop. You can rename it Command Prompt if you wish.
You can pin this to the start menu if I remember correctly.

You can do it again and check the run as administrator option and name it Command Prompt (Admin) if you wish and pin it.

There you go, no messing with powershell involved.
glsmith

PostPosted: Sat 13 May '17 4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a chance to play in the settings in Windows 10 today and guess what I found .... this is a setting you can turn on or off.

James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 17 May '17 12:14    Post subject: Re: new windows 10 power shell trick for command Reply with quote

shaggy wrote:
You CANNOT control apache using powershell yet.

Not true. I do that often. run Powershell as Admin

Code:

PS C:\Users\Mario\Apache24\bin> .\httpd.exe -k start
PS C:\Users\Mario\Apache24\bin>

works fine. tested On win 8.1, Win 10, Win10 creators update, Win Server 2016
yosoyminero

PostPosted: Wed 17 May '17 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

@James Blond: I think that's not PowerShell. Instead, it is just running the Apache binary through the PowerShell command prompt, which transparently passes it to Apache Wink
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 17 May '17 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

yosoyminero wrote:
@James Blond: I think that's not PowerShell. Instead, it is just running the Apache binary through the PowerShell command prompt, which transparently passes it to Apache Wink

How else would you do it? Question

Reply to topic   Topic: new windows 10 power shell trick for command View previous topic :: View next topic