logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Hardware & Networking View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Local/Remote server conflict
Author
kinuimagin

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct '16 20:11    Post subject: Local/Remote server conflict Reply with quote

Hi- my name is Anthony

Sorry if this post is long. This is the first time I have ever posted in a forum- but I need some help!

I was searching the Apache website trying to find the proper email link to address an issue I’m having, but I wasn't sure where to go, and an email I submitted has gotten no response yet.

If you can just steer me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Here’s my problem…

I chose to use Apache as a local server. It was included with an xampp installation. I wanted to do this for testing purposes.

Although I am fairly computer savvy, I am not very proficient at configuring servers. That’s why I chose xampp, because it easily installs with very little configuration.

I am currently putting all the elements together to become an affiliate marketer. I purchased my domain name (kinuimagin.com) and installed WordPress on both my local (Apache) and remote servers.

BUT- when I (FIRST) installed the server locally, I used kinuimagin.com as my sites domain. But now, if I try to access my website remotely, there are problems. I believe I figured out that because my domain is associated with both local and remote servers, this conflict exists.

I am on the verge of publishing my information remotely now, but am not able to because of this issue.

What do I need to do to resolve this problem? My hosting company has tested my remote domain- everything is cool on their end. I am frustrated at this point.

Do I need to uninstall everything locally- and reinstall using a different domain? Is there a simple fix to resolve the conflict? UPDATE: I did try to uninstall/re-install... no luck.

Please help…

JUST in case… my email is kinuimagin@comcast.net

To whom it ‘may concern,’- thank you, in advance, for your input...

Anthony

P.S. I am trying different sources to remedy this situation, and I thought maybe someone here might have an answer.
glsmith

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct '16 2:35    Post subject: Re: Local/Remote server conflict Reply with quote

kinuimagin wrote:
BUT- when I (FIRST) installed the server locally, I used kinuimagin.com as my sites domain. But now, if I try to access my website remotely, there are problems. I believe I figured out that because my domain is associated with both local and remote servers, this conflict exists.

Well yes there is because your domain points to your remote server (justhost.com) and not yours. For the moment I am going to lie and tell you that you can only have 1 IP per domain. Yes I said lie because you can have more but it's for something (round-robin) that is not going to benefit you in this particular case.

Short answer is that the local server will have to have a different hostname than www.kinuimagin.com and you will have to have a DNS record (A record) pointing to your IP address at home or wherever the local server is.

Hmm ... not quite sure where to start you but you should have a basic understanding of how DNS works and what the various record types are so I guess that's as good a place as any to start.

Hopefully this will help you understand the basic concepts.It's more than your really need to know right now but it's the best I was able to find quickly.
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/an-introduction-to-dns-terminology-components-and-concepts

As for filling up your local copy of the wordpress and pushing changes to your remote, just remember to never push the part of wordpress dealing with the domain name to the remote server, it needs to stay at www.kinuimagin.com.
kinuimagin

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct '16 3:20    Post subject: First of all- THANK you! Reply with quote

Thank you for responding to my post!

I might have mentioned that I am new to forums, and I apologize for the lengthy initial post.

I AM pretty computer savvy- but this server stuff is still foreign to me.

I understand DNS is domain name servers, and I was thinking that this fix should really not be that complicated if I know the right file to edit.

Would it be the C:\xampp\apache\conf\httpd.conf file?

Is it a PHP file? I don't know...

The Apache documentation seems a little to techie for me. It doesn't seem to address "Apache fixes for idiots."

Laymen terminology seems non-existent there.

If you could provide a little more input- I would truly be grateful.

But, I WILL follow up on the info you provided so far. It's a good place to start, I bet...

Again- thank you so much for responding...

Anthony

Reply to topic   Topic: Local/Remote server conflict View previous topic :: View next topic