logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Hardware & Networking View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: reset server over LAN
Author
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb '10 13:20    Post subject: reset server over LAN Reply with quote

Is there any chance to reset the pc / server over LAN when it hangs up? I boot my server with WOL, but sometimes it hangs up while booting and I don't want to walk to the server and press ctrl + alt + del.
black_harry

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar '10 13:56    Post subject: reset server over LAN Reply with quote

Hi,
I don't know your hardware, but if you use a Compaq / HP Server, you can add an ILO card (Hardware, if not already included).
Simply connect an additional Network-Cable with the server (with ILO).
Then you can access the ILO via https and see the server as if you are in front of the machine.
You can see the server booting, can access its bios, ....
You can also press "reset" remote.

some more details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Integrated_Lights-Out

Regards,
Harald
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar '10 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know ILO, but I don't own a HP server. Is there anything compatible for a custom server?
glsmith

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar '10 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

iAMT ... if it's Intell and if the processor has vPro (whatever that is) then there is this route ... which I was pointed to from the wikipedia page bh posted the link to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar '10 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pitty most of the CPUs are AMD and even the Intel quad core doesn't have the vPro feature Confused

There are a lot of Lights Out Management (LOM)

• HP: Integrated Lights-Out (iLO)
  • Fujitsu Siemens: RemoteView Service Board (RSB), Integrated Remota Management Controller (iRMC)
  • Dell: Dell Remote Access Controller (DRAC)
  • Apple (for Intel Xserve-Systeme)
  • IBM: Remote Data Management
  • SUN: Advanced Lights Out Management (ALOM), Integrated Lights Out Manager (ILOM)

But all that solution are bundled to the branded server. It seems that it won't be easy like WOL.

Reply to topic   Topic: reset server over LAN View previous topic :: View next topic