logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Webmaster Tools & Utilities View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: remote control
Author
sb.net

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep '06 3:56    Post subject: remote control Reply with quote

Is there a remote control for apache? Question I took a web master class, and my teacher told my to use this popular program. i do not remember the name. can somebody help me.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep '06 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand what you want, start/stopping Apache ?
sb.net

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep '06 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, my teacher used a program to, start, stop, or restart. it was in command line, but i would like something like this: http://www.blackdot.be/?inc=apache/monitor. but you have to load it on to your computer.
Steffen

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep '06 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

To remote control your server box you can use Windows desktop, which is build-in Windows. Or VNC, see www.apachelounge.com/article.php?sid=15

Steffen
Jorge

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep '06 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb.net wrote:
yes, my teacher used a program to, start, stop, or restart. it was in command line, but i would like something like this: http://www.blackdot.be/?inc=apache/monitor. but you have to load it on to your computer.

Well not if the server is in the same network as you.

And if the current user acount on the client side also exists on the target machine it works fine. It doesn't work over the internet though... blame microsoft for that.
sb.net

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep '06 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my notes. and i can not find the name if the program. but some of the commands were grep -c and tail -f. and he did it miles away from his company.
Steffen

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep '06 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he used "telnet" which is a windows service.

Btw. grep is a linux program. By installing cygwin you have it also on windows.
Jorge

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep '06 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think ssh will do it aswel. There is a windows version of this and a linux one. I used that a while ago to remote my UT2004 Server.
sb.net

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep '06 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember it being a stand alone program. Confused but how do i get these things.
ali_fareed

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep '06 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

telnet is available in windows just start services.msc and start the telnet service and use your windows password but telnet sends data unecrypted use ssh openssh is avalable as a windows installer
ali_fareed

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep '06 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

telnet is available in windows just start services.msc and start the telnet service and use the telnet client although telnet sends data unecrypted you should use ssh. openssh is avalable as a windows installer
sb.net

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep '06 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok
Brian

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct '06 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an SSH server for Windows called something like WinSSHD, or something like that. Then I SSH in to my server using the Free PuTTY SSH client. In fact you can use Putty to set up tunnels for tunneling RDP and VNC through it.

For me though I just SSH into my server and use the command line:

httpd -k restart

-or for pre 2.2.x-

apache -k restart

You can also kill apache with kill apache.exe or kill httpd.exe

I use Sambar Server for my mail server. It allows you to set up some cool rules that for example when an email with an exact line of text (case sensitive and the whole bit) is placed in the body and/or subject line and is sent to a certain email address, it executes a script.

I created some .bat files to be executed based on these rules. It is safe because someone would have to KNOW what the email address was, what the exact text was to execute these bat files. Further, you can lock these down with other rules such as the origin of the email, it must be from a certain sender. Combine that with excellent spam and spoofing controls in Sambar, it is a safe way to remotely restart my server, for example, by simply sending an email.

The sky is the limit, you could shut the server down, bring it back online, what ever you like this way. Sometimes I simply cannot install Putty to SSH in. But that being said, SSH is very very secure.

Hope some of these ideas help you out.
sb.net

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct '06 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found a free program named freeSSHd. http://www.freesshd.com/index.php it works fine for me then i use PuTTY for connecting to it.
MikeZ

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov '06 14:19    Post subject: remote control tools Reply with quote

A superb tool is http://www.logmein.com
The windows machine needs to install a service and then you can use a browser with either java or Activex to controll your machine.
Works great
Brian

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov '06 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update to my previous post in this thread, I now use the SSH server from Bitvise and the client software called the Tunnelier.

The Tunnelier offers an integrated method for RDP tunneling, Secure FTP (SFTP), and a command line window. This client makes it so easy to remote manage a server and securely transfer files.

Finally, you can set policies on your box, XP or 2K3 NOS, to require the maximum 128bit encryption for all data transfers, thus requiring client connections to use this pretty high level of security. It is faster even when encrypted than any VNC I have used, and when policies set on the host machine that all clients use 128bit you have effective security. It's not nearly as secure as tunneling through SSH, but still very secure for most purposes.

Command Line
Graphical User Interface (RDP or VNC tunneled)
-and-
Secure FTP

... all in one.
sb.net

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov '06 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might just get bitvise's ssh software, but i have one question. I really like PuTTY and i was wondering if it works without changing any settings.
Brian

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov '06 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what you mean by do you need to change settings. Which settings are you refering to?

I plead ignorance on using any other SSH server other than the Bitvise's SSH server for Win32. I am therefore bias, but also in a production environment, I want to use a commercial application that I can count on.

Judging by the read at: http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier.html you should be able to use the Tunnelier with any SSH server.

There is some level of complexity that made it more difficult for me to get RDP tunneled, I had to set up C2S (client to server) port forwarding but I'd be happy to help with that. I also launch RDP outside of the Tunnelier becuase I want to have more control over the RDP terminal settings.

Like I said, it's worth a shot and with secure FTP, command line (with scroll back which never worked for me using PuTTY), its a real winner. It's awesome knowing that I can tunnel RDP with 128 bit RSA RC4 through an SSH tunnel with no apparent slow down - it's damn secure which is essential for remote server management.

Let me know if I can help with any config.

Reply to topic   Topic: remote control View previous topic :: View next topic