logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Problems securing a folder
Author
rabidjade

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov '06 5:01    Post subject: Problems securing a folder Reply with quote

Apache 2.0.55, PHP 4.4.3, Windows 2K Server

I followed the instructions on this site to the letter using the "ht.acl" file.
http://sniptools.com/tutorials/windows-apache-and-htaccess-authentication

I rebooted the server and now get a "500 Internal Server Error" when trying to access the secure folder. Is there anything wrong with these instructions?

This is the line in the error log:

Code:
[Sat Nov 11 20:55:49 2006] [alert] [client 192.XXX.XXX.X] C:/Program Files/XXXXXXXXXXX/ht.acl: AuthUserFile takes 1-2 arguments, text file containing user IDs and passwords

Also how would I setup a secure folder in a public directory (the first virtual host website) only accessible on the server. What would be an easy way to do this? Thanks!
rabidjade

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov '06 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it to display a un/pw prompt when the folder is accessed. Now the problem, it that it won't recognize anything I put in. I even tried a one letter username and password and it still doesn't let me in.
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov '06 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you create the password file with htpasswd try -p instead of -m so the password will be saved as plain text. Sometimes it don't work with crypted passwords
rabidjade

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov '06 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea but no luck on it. I'll be doing a format of my server tonight and installing apache 2.2.3 and php 4.4.4. Hopefully it will work after this.

Reply to topic   Topic: Problems securing a folder View previous topic :: View next topic