logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: My new computer has Vista, unfortunately
Author
ms1990kl

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan '07 20:31    Post subject: My new computer has Vista, unfortunately Reply with quote

I have used Apache/PHP/MySQL on my little laptop with XP Pro, and have been very happy.
I am trying to install Apache on my new computer with vista. I've read enough on the internet in the last day to conclude that everybody in the world loathes Vista.
I am a very simple user with a computer on which I am the only user.
Can someone give me some idea how to install Apache. For some reason, Vista doesn't allow the httpd.conf file to be loader, or anything else in the conf folder.
Should I disable UAC. Is there some way to log on as the "ultimate" administrator of the computer so I am not prompted to approve every single move I make.
Has somebody come out with a list of steps to get this program installed on a computer with this extremely annoying OS.
Thanks in advance for your help. This forum was extremely helpful when I installed Apache the first time.

Michael Smith
pips

PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb '07 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week the postman deliverd my latest DVD's from my MAP subscription from Microsoft. Including Windows Vista Business Upgrade.

I've only just got round to installing it on a Virtual Machine to test it with the application software that we use.

So I've now setup my first VAMP server! Vista, Apache, MySQL, PHP with Open SSL too.

I followed my instruction sheet, http://www.adcommcepts.com/install-wamp-ssl.pdf and all went well.

I had already disabled UAC as it was driving me mad - and the only other thing that I had a problem with running was the apachemonitor.exe which wouldn't run. To get round this I right clicked on apachelounge.exe chose PROPERTIES, then COMPATABILITY and told it to use the Windows XP SP2 setting. This then made it work.

All in all, quite a painless installation of VAMP Very Happy (I wish all the other software I use installed just as easily!)

Cheers,
Phil.

PS. I will update the installation instructions soon, and post the link.
halfer

PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb '07 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a new Vista install and it wasn't particularly stable. Granted it was only the one machine, and others may be better, but it did not fill be with confidence. If you want a machine to serve from (ie not development) then I'd go for XP or the Server series, which are a little more "tried and tested".
Jorge

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb '07 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vista should be fine for development but I find it is a resource hog. Ok explorer and other programs work faster. But that isn't important on a server.

Reply to topic   Topic: My new computer has Vista, unfortunately View previous topic :: View next topic