logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Building & Member Downloads View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: New OpenSSL Version and Recompilation
Author
VoodooMill

PostPosted: Sat 24 Feb '07 1:46    Post subject: New OpenSSL Version and Recompilation Reply with quote

Hey there,

My question is:
What needs to be recompiled when a new version of OpenSSL comes out?

Currently I have Apache 2.2.3 (I'm not using 2.2.4 because of an ErrorLog pipe issue) compiled with OpenSSL 0.9.8d. Now that OpenSSL 0.9.8e is out do I need to recompile Apache with the new OpenSSL source or only recompile OpenSSL and copy the new openssl.exe, libeay32.dll, and ssleay32.dll to my existing Apache22/bin folder?

Thanks much!
tdonovan

PostPosted: Sat 24 Feb '07 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - the three files you list: openssl.exe, libeay32.dll, and ssleay32.dll, are the only files which need to change to update OpenSSL from 0.9.8d to 0.9.8e.

The API did not change in any way, so there is no need to recompile Apache, just OpenSSL.

The fourth OpenSSL file which is provided with Apache 2.2.4 from Apache Lounge, \conf\openssl.cnf, did not change for 0.9.8e. Note that this file could change in future releases.

It is always good to keep OpenSSL current - but this release does not include fixes for any vulnerabilities, so it is less urgent for Apache/Windows users to update to 0.9.8e than it was to update to 0.9.8d back in September.

-tom-
VoodooMill

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb '07 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thank you for the reply Tom!

Reply to topic   Topic: New OpenSSL Version and Recompilation View previous topic :: View next topic