logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Socket address error
Author
Redebo

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb '06 0:36    Post subject: Socket address error Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Steffan's binaries on a new box and I keep getting the following error:
(OS 10048) Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down

I'm not exactly sure why I'm getting this error. Any ideas?
Thanks
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb '06 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Some is already running on port 80. maybe an other server already running or a Virusscanner etc.

When you can try an other port for Apache , is it running then ?

Steffen
drawgas

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb '06 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you use Skype? Skype uses port 80 Smile
Steffen

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb '06 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I use Skype. In Skype option you can solve that it is using port 80:

Options/General/Set connection parameters and proxies/ and un-tick there : use port 80 and 443 ....

Hope it helps,

Steffen
little-doggy

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar '06 9:37    Post subject: im having the same problem Reply with quote

i am getting this when i try to install apache 2.0.55.
(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port
is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 127.0.0.1:8080
i have done everything that i have read in forums and it still does the same thing . i am running xp service pack 2
any help would be great
ArtM

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar '06 10:32    Post subject: Re: Socket Address Error Reply with quote

I had the same problem until I realized that another process had indeed glommed onto port 80.

CurrPorts from Nirsoft at
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

helped identify the culprit.
pnllan

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar '06 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art,

Great find!

CurrPorts will indeed give a list of all the PORTS your system has in use, and you might(?) be surprised with the results.
HartmanDC

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr '06 2:44    Post subject: Great program to identify the port conflict problem (Apache) Reply with quote

Yes, that was a great program.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

It helped identify the port conflict. The culprit is IIS, which had ports 25 (smtp), 80 (http), 443 (https), and others.
You can either uninstall IIS or give Apache a separate port (though I've never done that, only read that it is possible).
If you don't recall installing IIS (since it's not a default install on XP), IIS -- or lightweight versions -- might also come with the Visual Web Developer express editions or other Microsoft products that you might be evaluating. Note also that Oracle could also be holding on to port 80.

Reply to topic   Topic: Socket address error View previous topic :: View next topic