logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: No CSR file written
Author
theprophecy

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr '07 19:24    Post subject: No CSR file written Reply with quote

Win Server 2003/Apache2.2.4/OpenSSL 0.9.8e

Will not under any circumstances write a .csr file. Does not throw any errors, just... doesn't actually do anything. The command's pretty straightforward:

openssl req -new -key mykey.key -out mycsr.csr

It goes through the whole Q&A process, just... doesn't write an output CSR file. Apache 2.0.52 and OpenSSL 0.9.7 works flawlessly. I've tried both the openssl.exe in Apache2\bin and in OpenSSL\bin, both behave the same. I've dir /s'd the whole drive, the files are definitely not being written anywhere. What is the cause and fix?
tdonovan

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr '07 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no problem generating mycsr.csr on a Windows Server 2003/Apache2.2.4/OpenSSL 0.9.8e system,
although I needed to point to the correct openssl configuration file.

If you got Apache 2.2.4/OpenSSL here at Apache Lounge - the openssl.cnf file is in the Apache2\conf directory.
    openssl genrsa -out mykey.key

openssl req -config \Apache2\conf\openssl.cnf -new -key mykey.key -out mycsr.csr

-tom-

p.s. Note that openssl.cnf is incorrectly identified as a SpeedDial file by Windows Explorer.
theprophecy

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr '07 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've done exactly that. I've even cut-and-pasted the exact same thing (hell, I've cut-and-pasted your post) and it runs through the whole process and generates... nothing. No CSR file, no error, not a bloody thing.
theprophecy

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr '07 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently OpenSSL does not like names containing the word "aux". When I name either the key or csr aux.key or aux.csr or any variant thereof it does not work. wtf.key and wtf.csr do however work.
tdonovan

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr '07 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - AUX is a reserved device name in Windows.
Any file named aux.* refers to the serial port - usually COM1.

The name mycsr.csr should have worked fine, though, if you cut-and-pasted my post?!?

-tom-

Reply to topic   Topic: No CSR file written View previous topic :: View next topic