logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache on Windows Vista
Author
carl_in_washington

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr '07 19:47    Post subject: Apache on Windows Vista Reply with quote

I have installed Apache previously on XP without a hitch. I got a new laptop with Windows Vista and after several days, I can't get Apache to work correctly. I've installed from command prompt as administrator, I can check the status of Apache in the logs and the error log confirms each start and stop of the server, so it is running, but anytime I try to access http://localhost from a browser, it times out saying the server couldn't be reached. When I check the access log, it is blank.

Is anybody able to get Apache to work on Vista? There is really a void of good info for this on the web. If one of you knowlegable gurus could outline a procedure from start to finish, it would benefit thousands of people I'm sure. Thanks in advance!

P.S. Has anyone else noticed that with every "improvement" of Windows, it looks more and more like Linux, only it doesn't work as well?
bert4

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr '07 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carl,

I am running Vista x86 with Apache 2.0.59 / PHP / mod_ssl and thanks to the guys from this site, mod_security as well. Works perfectly, even with UAC enabled.

My guess is that you use Apache 1.3x.

I vaguely remember having trouble with that version and Vista.

Ah, Vista is nice, and will be nicer in the future when software makers start getting used to Vista.

(p.s. I also tried Apache on Vista x64, works also)
carl_in_washington

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr '07 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input that it is possible, Bert. I installed apache 2.2.4. I even tried installing WAMP and that didn't help either. I thought it might be due to my V-com Net Defense firewall, but when I temporarily disable it, it is still a no-go. It is odd to me that even though the error log shows each start and stop of the server, the access log shows nothing. I had read somewhere online that Vista might have a problem with reading the conf file. I temporarily moved it entirely out of the directory and attempted to restart the server which, as expected, it couldn't do, so it is obviously reading that file, yet it seems like when I open a browser it is as though I'm calling to a server that isn't there.
bert4

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr '07 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at your Services, is there a Apache2 service installed ?

(right click My Computer > Manage >> Services)

If there is and it is stopped, start it, and look for clues in the event viewer why it failed to start....

I haven't tried your version, but 2.0.59 works just fine, I just installed it with the msi installer.... and added PHP manually later on...
carl_in_washington

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr '07 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Services says that Apache is running. Event Viewer says for entry MsiInstaller "Installation operation completed successfully". Now, immediately above that, another MsiInstaller line says: "Windows installer installed the product. Product Name: Apache HTTP SERVER 2.2.4. PRODUCT VERSION: 2.2.4. pRODUCT LANGUAGE: 1033. iNSTALLATION SUCCESS OR ERROR STATUS: 0."
I'm wondering if "installation success or error status: 0" means good or bad?
bert4

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr '07 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this helps:

http://www.sam.zoomcities.com/share/ApacheWindows.html#Vista
carl_in_washington

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr '07 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Bert, but that's how I installed it to begin with. The server seems to be running. As I said before, typing http://localhost just isn't going anywhere. There are no entries in the access logs. The httpd.conf seems to have all settings correct and as default values. Just not working. Very frustrating.
bert4

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr '07 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that you have disabled everything firewall like (also the Vista Firewall), like you said....

If you stop the service, and then start Apache via an Admin command prompt, what happens then?
bert4

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr '07 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would do too:

Try besides localhost, 127.0.0.1 / see if the hosts file is correct.

and or

Make a virtual host, add it to the hosts file...

NameVirtualHost utama

<VirtualHost utama>
ServerAdmin webmaster@utama
DocumentRoot "D:/web/www"
ServerName UTAMA
ErrorLog logs/utama-error.log
CustomLog logs/utama-access.log common
</VirtualHost>

and in the hosts file:

127.0.0.1 utama

I am just trying a bit Confused
carl_in_washington

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr '07 8:35    Post subject: Problem solved Reply with quote

Windows Defender was the culprit. It was blocking apache but not notifying me that it was doing so. This problem was compounded by the fact that I was also running System Suite 7 from Avanquest. With the two firewalls going and not accurately reporting each other's status, I didn't get the message and couldn't figure it out until I uninstalled System Suite 7. I still much prefer it to the Vista solutions just because I have used System Suite with XP and have been VERY pleased with its performance. I'll be looking to restore its functionality right away.

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache on Windows Vista View previous topic :: View next topic