logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Cannot access folders as folder tree
Author
jaseuk

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul '07 21:24    Post subject: Cannot access folders as folder tree Reply with quote

I have built and setup a server for home use, After creating a parent folder and setting up permissions for subsequent folders Apache would display a folder tree on the web page. I could open folders and view documents and photo's etc. Since I put an index.html page with links to folders all I get know is the index page on the browser ( which is correct) but when I click on the button to link to a folder I get url not found.if I put an html page in the folder it displays web page as with the other folders.It just will not show the folder as a folder tree.I have tried using directory with options +indexes but apache seems to look for a html page in the folder.

Please forgive my inexperience but I am learning as I go. Any help advice would be grately appreciated.
James Blond

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jul '07 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the changes you made in httpd.conf or .htaccess file you made.
jaseuk

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jul '07 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ya

Thankyou for replying, this is also the first time I have used a forum, normally try to learn/sort things out myself. Please find below the section I think is the problem. I have tried various things reading through the Apache docs on line. My file layout is "c:web_page/ " is where my index.html is located then "c:web_pages/Documents/" is where my pdf,word and excel files are. I also have a link to "web_pages/photos/" this has a gallery.html file which works fine. I have a .htaccess file in web_pages. log in and index.html apears. Only username and password in file.

<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Satisfy all
</Directory>

#
# Note that from this point forward you must specifically allow
# particular features to be enabled - so if something's not working as
# you might expect, make sure that you have specifically enabled it
# below.

#<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs">
<Directory "C:/web_pages/">
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory "C:/Web_pages/Documents/*">
Options +Indexes
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
Allow from All
</Directory>

<IfModule dir_module>
DirectoryIndex index.html
</IfModule>

Any advice or pointers in the right direction would be grateful. Can you recommend any book to learn from.

Running Apache 2.2.4 on Windows XP pro SP2

Kind regards
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul '07 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no * for <Directory "C:/Web_pages/Documents/*">

without * and ending slash
only

<Directory "C:/Web_pages/Documents">

The best free book is the online docs http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/

Quote:

I have a .htaccess file in web_pages. log in and index.html apears. Only username and password in file.

Sorry for my bad english, but I don't get my head arround this. What does that mean?
jaseuk

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul '07 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have used a .htaccess file in the root directory so only family, friends with username and password can access site, do not want anyone seeing family photographs etc. Server is at basic setup at the moment will add php,cgi,etc as I learn it. Thank you for the information I will give that a go.

As for bad English its a hundred times better than my German.

Kind regards
jaseuk

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug '07 3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for your help

I ammented the httpdconfig file as you suggested and all files in the documents folder can be accessed. Silly mistake know I look back at it.

Kind Regards

Jase

Reply to topic   Topic: Cannot access folders as folder tree View previous topic :: View next topic