logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: How to Install 2 instances of Apache?
Author
dubob4432

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan '07 2:41    Post subject: How to Install 2 instances of Apache? Reply with quote

currently running apache 2.0.59/php 4.x/mysql 4.x on a home connection with about 10 sites running off of it. this has always been for educational purposes and i must say, i have learned a lot Wink

now, i want to run a site encapsulated in ssl, so i have mod_ssl and openssl. all seems good, i can make the certificates and everything, but when i try to go to the site, it is like apache can't find the site.

i read and read, and what i found is that when using ssl you need to have ip based sites, not name based. is this true?

if it is, how do i install another instance of 2.0.59? basically the current setup will stay as it is and the new instance will run 1 site on port 443. do i need to setup a additonal nic in the machine? and give it a static ip through my router? this is not a problem, i just need to know how to do this, because setting up ssl has been very challenging thus far.

again, i have all the software and have no issues if there is another entire setup of apache, i just need to know exactly what i need to do.

thanks, and an excellent forum from what i have read so far Smile
bob

edit - i should add that this is on a win2kpro sp4 box
Jorge

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan '07 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can configure a static IP for your network card and add 1,2,3,... aditional IP's. Just hit the advance button (I think it's called advance can't check -> at work).

THen search the forum on how to setup IP based vhosting and make on of them the SSL host.
dubob4432

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan '07 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorge wrote:
You can configure a static IP for your network card and add 1,2,3,... aditional IP's. Just hit the advance button (I think it's called advance can't check -> at work).

THen search the forum on how to setup IP based vhosting and make on of them the SSL host.

thanks, will give it a try, competely forgot about that setting Smile
dubob4432

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan '07 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

again, thanks for the info, but could somebody please let me know how to run 2 instances? this way i could keep the ssl server completely seperate from the regular server.

thanks Smile
Jorge

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan '07 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would you want to do that? It would take up more memory than vhosts.

But i you want to create 2 config files one for reg and one for ssl

tYou can install via:
httpd -k install -n Apache -f conf/reg.conf
httpd -k install -n ApacheSSL -f conf/ssl.conf

httpd -k start/stop -n (namehere) to start stop

Reply to topic   Topic: How to Install 2 instances of Apache? View previous topic :: View next topic