logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Static IP for Xandros Linux server
Author
WBC

PostPosted: Tue 04 Apr '06 22:11    Post subject: Static IP for Xandros Linux server Reply with quote

I have installed Apache server V2.2 in Xandros 3.0 Linux. It works fine as long as I don't set up a static IP address in services/networking. I can see the "Placeholder web page" on all my computers. The only change I made to the Apache httpd.config file is to the Listen directive (Listen 80). With my Xandros Apache server networking set to obtain an IP address dynamicly from the router I can see the "Placeholder web page" on the internet if I set port forwording in my Linksys WRT54GX router to open port 80 for the server IP address it now has which is dynamicly assigned by DHCP in the Linksys router.

The problem:
If I try to set up the Xandros services/network to a static IP address, the server works as expected but my connection for web browsing and email from the GUI desktop looses connectivity or is not resolving addressing. I can not browse the internet or get email using this same computer?

I realize that a server should not be a desktop systen too but for learning conveinence I would like it this way for now.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the above happens?

Thanks,
WBC
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr '06 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your ISP you get often (all 24 hrs?) a new IP. if you set a static IP you can not reach the internet. But if you want to have a reachable webserver look for an provider that keeps the name but changes the IP to your IP like yourname.dynalias.net
in httpd.conf reset the Listen 80 and the set ServerName yourname.dynalias.net:80
reset the IP to DHCP.

In short facts: You can't access the internet without an existing IP from you ISP. The server / Your PC have a different IP then the router want to give your PC / server.
WBC

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr '06 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,
My provider of my DSL did give me a static IP. This is not to be confused with the static IP I am setting in the Network setting of the Xandros PC.
Right now it has an IP set dynamicly by the router and I can see the served web page on all my computers in my LAN. If I use the browser (firefox), I can surf the web and Kmail works too.

I have 1 question for you.
Being that setting port forwording in the Linksys router includes both the port and the IP of the server, don't I have to set the server to a fixed IP so it matches the forword ip address? Well that I can do (and have done) but it causes the computer to only be used as a server as the connectivity of Firefox and kmail no longer works. There is no connection any more for any web applications in Xandros other than the server. That is what I am trying to figure out? The server works great and I can see the Placeholder web page on the internet by typing in my ISP assigned IP address.

WBC
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr '06 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you want to set a static IP to the Xandros PC? If the router sets the IP and you can reach the PC, I see to need for setting a satic IP.
In my router I can see all connected PC via Webinterface and set port forwarding. My router sets only one time an IP to each PC. So it is like a static IP inside the network and from outside the IP from router is the IP to reach the server.

So my question: Is there a need to set a static IP inside the network? Or can the access the server by name?
Quote:

Right now it has an IP set dynamicly by the router and I can see the served web page on all my computers in my LAN. If I use the browser (firefox), I can surf the web and Kmail works too.

It does work inside as from the ISP IP?
WBC

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr '06 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my question: Is there a need to set a static IP inside the network? Or can the access the server by name? Quote

I guess not if it stays the same IP. I was told that a server always should be a fixed Ip address but then I am new to servers so?

Thanks, I will then leave it this way for a while and see what happens.

Bill C
WBC

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr '06 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyones help. I guess I got enough help from several sources that I was able to cure all my configuration problems. I now have a server that works properly as will as the ability to access any shared folders on any of my computers on the LAN, no matter if it is a Windows or Linux box. A lot of the problems were Samba related and I did not realize it until later. I now have a much better understanding of it all.

Thanks for everyones help,

WBC

Reply to topic   Topic: Static IP for Xandros Linux server View previous topic :: View next topic