logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: can't get Apache to run
Author
valiantheart

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul '08 13:27    Post subject: can't get Apache to run Reply with quote

My problem is this. I installed Apache and installation looks like it goes ok but it doesn't work. When I have the Apache Monitor open i try to start the service but i get an error message. "The requested operation has failed!" And when i try to put http://localhost into my browser i don't get the It works! page.

I searched for a while trying to get an answer and couldn't find anything. Also I can't even read the manual that came with Apache. Nothing i have tried will open it, so I really don't have much of a clue as to what went wrong. I found several tutorials online about installing Apache but none covered this problem.

Here is some other info that i can give about my situation.

Windows XP Service pack 3
Apache 2.2.9 ( the no_ssl .msi one from the Apache website.)
IE 7
Tried starting it with and without a firewall running. (I use Iolo)

I checked the error sheet and this is what i get everytime.
Starting the Apache2.2 service
The Apache2.2 service is running.
] Apache/2.2.9 (Win32) configured -- resuming normal operations
[Wed Jul 02 06:37:56 2008] [notice] Server built: Jun 13 2008 04:04:59
[Wed Jul 02 06:37:56 2008] [notice] Parent: Created child process 2132
[Wed Jul 02 06:37:56 2008] [notice] Child 2132: Child process is running
[Wed Jul 02 06:37:56 2008] [crit] (OS 10022)An invalid argument was supplied. : Child 2132: setup_inherited_listeners(), WSASocket failed to open the inherited socket.
[Wed Jul 02 06:37:56 2008] [crit] Parent: child process exited with status 3 -- Aborting.

Also this
Installing Apache HTTP 2.0 server with
DomainName = localdomain
ServerName = localhost
ServerAdmin = admin@localhost
ServerPort = 80
ServerSslPort = 80
ServerRoot = C:/Apache2.2

Once I get this running i eventually plan on putting MySQL and PHP on my PC. (one problem at a time right?) Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
alex.w474

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul '08 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have IIS installed? Have you tried another ports?
Please note that this may be wrong:
Code:
ServerSslPort = 80

Usually 443 should be used for SSL connections.
valiantheart

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul '08 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex.w474 wrote:
Do you have IIS installed? Have you tried another ports?
Please note that this may be wrong:
Code:
ServerSslPort = 80

Usually 443 should be used for SSL connections.

IIS? I dont know what your refering to. That doesn't sound familiar at all, so most likely the answer is no.

as for other ports, yes I have tried other ports. Same result.

I did have a break through this morning though. I'm fairly certain it has something to do with winsock and my firewall program (I use iolo firewall). This morning I disabled my firewall and used the winsock repair function on Xp SP2. Then when i restarted my PC Apache connected right away and I didn't get the error anymore. However when i restarted my firewall i ended up getting the same error again. I tried restarting the computer without my firewall booting up at startup and I got the same problem UNLESS i did the winsock repair function again, at which point it works, so long as I do not restart my firewall.

My best guess is that the firewall changes something in the winsock settings that prevents the apache service from running properly.

One remedy to this might be to find a new firewall... But money is an issue right now and I really don't feel like putting out any extra money right now.

Another remedy would be to just use the repair function when i plan on using apache and just use the windows firewall but that one would be a pain in the neck.

Another other thoughts?
tdonovan

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul '08 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try adding the Win32DisableAcceptEx directive to your conf\httpd.conf file.
This is a single-word directive you can add as the first line of httpd.conf:
Code:
Win32DisableAcceptEx
This sometimes (but not always) works around common firewall bugs.

If that doesn't work, another directive you can try is EnableSendfile. You want to disable the Apache SendFile feature, like this:
Code:
EnableSendfile Off

Finally, you might want to see if there is something in your firewall settings which would let you enable the Apache program (httpd.exe) to bypass whatever Iolo is doing that blocks Apache.

-tom-
valiantheart

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul '08 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I tried doing as you listed. Still not working. I haven't really been able to spend much time working on this problem but this morning I am going to try uninstalling and reinstalling my firewall to see if that helps.

Also I plan on contacting Iolo about this problem and see if i can get a responce.
valiantheart

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul '08 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I tried uninstalling my firewall and then re-installing it. No luck with that whatso ever.

I sent an email to Iolo about this and I am waiting to get a responce.

There should be something about this particular problem on the Apache site but I found nothing. And I know for a f act that I am not the only one who had this problem. At least I was able to spefically track it down to what was causing it. Iolo firewall has this file "iFW_Xfilter.dll" that puts itself into the winsock layer and prevents apache from running. You would figure that as long as Apache has been around Iolo would have found out about this problem and corrected it some time ago. I can't be the first right?

So my question now is... If I have to drop Iolo firewall, I already know Apache works fine with the Windows firewall, but I want more protection then tha, What is a good firewall i could use that doesn't conflict with apache? (money is kind of an issue)
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul '08 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer an external router as firewall and forward the needed ports to apache. e.g. 80 and 443

Reply to topic   Topic: can't get Apache to run View previous topic :: View next topic