logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Memory Usage and MaxRequetsPerChild
Author
cyclone

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep '08 22:09    Post subject: Memory Usage and MaxRequetsPerChild Reply with quote

Against the recommendation of the official apache documentation I have been running our servers with MaxRequestPerChild set to 32768 which is about 20 to 30 minutes between soft restarts when we are busy. I chose to do this because without it, 2.2.9 (and previous 2.2.x versions) would grow to 1.5BG or more of memory leaving too little for the server to function.

This is an acceptable solution for us, except that about two or three times a day one of our servers will plow through the 32768 and just keep serving requests until it bleeds the server out of memory. Now a manual "-k restart" will restart the server, but that leaves an orphaned/zombied httpd.exe on the machine with its full memory allocation intact. Using process explorer it seems the old httpd, the one that is currently zombied, is waiting on a thread to two to complete. Except those the threads no longer exist or at least I do not see an php-cgi.exes. Its simple enough to manually kill the zombie and get its memory back, but manual actions are a pain.

Anyone have similar experiences blowing through MaxRequestsPerChild?

Configuration:

16 Servers
Win2k3
Apache 2.2.9a from ApacheLounge
PHP 5.2.6
mod_fcgid 2.2b from ApacheLounge

Reply to topic   Topic: Memory Usage and MaxRequetsPerChild View previous topic :: View next topic