logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: small fish in with the sharks
Author
strungstephen

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep '08 22:44    Post subject: small fish in with the sharks Reply with quote

my site lasted about 6 hours. will anyone help me out and tell me where i went wrong. we are a christian based recording studio, just trying to do the right thing. when i got up this morning server was down two other computers,(wireless) will not go online, and i can only get on the internet being hardwired in. router will not get an ip adress. thought having our own server was a good thing, but now im not so sure. the only choice i have is to back them all up and do complete reinstalls, which i really dont wan to do. if anyone is willing to point us in the right direction, let us know. like the name, highercause, this is why we do this. hoping the right person will see this because thats what i am being led to do. going to give this a couple of days before i revamp everything. just wondering, should we put apache on something other than the win2000 system. Sad
glsmith

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep '08 3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try turning everything off, then starting at the wall turn everything back on ... modem .. router .. server. My cousin had this very same sounding problem 2 weeks ago and doing this cleared it up.

Considering Win2k is old, and the security updates are going to end sooner or later, it can never hurt to use something newer, but I am still getting security updates for my 2k so you should be as well.
strungstephen

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep '08 4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this is the thing. I missed something. apache on a win2000 hardwired to a linksys WRT54G with two xp systems wireless to the same router. also ubuntu 8.04 on another hardwired. set router to static ip, instead of dyndns, forwarded port 80 and port 443.,as per portforward.com, set up static ip on win2000 to 102, one xp on 100, the other on 101, and kept the ubntu turned off. set up account with Dyndns so as my ip changed my server would know. set router to update with dyndns, this router supports, this. one other thing in the router, something about anonymous request, had to uncheck it. So the i took it for a test spin. Hey great it works, all my hard work and all those books , and the late nights online finally paid off. Till i woke up this morning. from what i understand where i went wrong was not getting a static ip from the cable co. now im down to one computer hardwired directly to the cable modum. now when i try to hook up the router, and hardwire through it, nothing will connect to the internet. could this have fried my modum. because while the computer, are connected to the router, they come back with a default windows ip adress. ipconfig/release or renew dont seem to work. is there anyway this modum could be causing this. anyway, I could use this weekend to just do complete reinstalls, but thats a lot of work, one of these computers is in the studio. anybody out there got suggestions im all ears. by the way, thinking about buying a mac, thoughts on that. webserver by the way.
glsmith

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep '08 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it sounds crazy but did you try doing as I said before?

Here is his situation that fixed.
Everything was fine, one day, laptop no longer worked over wireless, then computer hard wired to router didn't work. Same computer worked when plugged into modem direct. As soon as he turned the modem, router and same computer off, then started them all again in order. Everything worked.

It turned out that as far as I can tell, the DHCP between the modem and the ISP (RoadRunner) began failing. It got to a point where even the laptop hard corded into modem didn't work, only the one compuer (MAC address).

So if yes, you tried that, then something is wrong, but modem seems to work, if it fried, nothing should work ... no?

Reply to topic   Topic: small fish in with the sharks View previous topic :: View next topic