logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Make Apache Drop Invalid Page Requests
Author
xyst

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep '08 1:16    Post subject: Make Apache Drop Invalid Page Requests Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out how to stop apache from returning 404 errors. I want apache to just ignore the request and not return anything (the client will just timeout eventually). I am pretty sure I have configured apache2 in this way before, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it now. Am I crazy?
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep '08 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set an error handler to your start page

Code:

ErrorDocument 404 /index.html

For more details see http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/custom-error.html
xyst

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep '08 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't want an error handler because I don't want apache to return anything. I want apache to just drop the request and let the client timeout. I already read through the whole error handler page before, and it appears to me that you cannot use the ErrorDocument directive not return anything.
glsmith

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep '08 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood you .. I'm sure James did but I am not sure he understands how Apache 1.3.x dealt with things. I may be wrong, if so sorry James.

One thing I have noticed in 2.2.x that is different from 1.3 is the ability to do just that, "Just not answer." It seems determined to answer in one fasion or another. In my experience,

say in 1.3 I

deny from your-ip

With 1.3, if you came to my site, nothing would happen and your browser would time-out. In 2.2 however, it is determined to answer, with 403 obviously.

I think you could use RewriteRule and RewriteCond to do this, just have it set for maybe something like this

Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REDIRECT_STATUS} 404
RewriteRule ^/(.*)         http://1.1.1.1/$1 [L,R]

Have not tried this .. but it should work I think.

I basically do this with download managers and spiders I do not like .. as well as IPs and such I want to stay off my Apache. One problem however is it does not want to work server-wide, so I made one file that has all this junk in it and then Include the file in every single vhost .. a pain .. but it works well for me.

EDIT:

Actually, please let me know if it does. I want to use something similar with unused error/status codes like 418,419,420 and set my mod security rules to these codes and they, the scoundrels, will simply get redirected to nothing.

I also see you mentioned 2.0.x, I skipped over that branch pretty much.

Reply to topic   Topic: Make Apache Drop Invalid Page Requests View previous topic :: View next topic