logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> News & Hangout View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.2.2 vs IIS 6
Author
NthDegree

PostPosted: Mon 01 May '06 22:04    Post subject: Apache 2.2.2 vs IIS 6 Reply with quote

Here's the big question:

Is Apache 2.2.2 better than IIS 6?

OK so it's not that big Razz but what is the best in terms of performance, security, reliability, scalability and which offers the best durability.

I personally have found that over time apache has screwed up on my x64 system (unable to load the service or the site doesn't work and my memory gets eaten).

But I also found that IIS 6 has it's weaknesses too (it's main services have to use the SYSTEM account and it's got a bad reputation that almost leaves you quaking in your boots).

Although IIS 6 has a strong authentication system, native support for a naturally more secure scripting language and a builtin form of firewalling (that's why worms pwnt it Mr. Green ), Apache has mod_security and a lot of excellent contributions.

So which is better? What's your opinion on it all everyone?
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 02 May '06 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult.

Depends what you want/need.

I think Apache, at least for me, is far more flixeble and you can configure what you want, very flexible.
Strong point in Apache are for example the features of mod_rewrite and mod_proxy (reverse, balancer, ajp etc).

If you want develop ASP/NET applications then IIS is the best choise. And for php and (mod)perl is Apache the best choise (the php-guys are "married" with the apache-guys).

But.. for small business and home my favorite is the sambar server (see www.apachelounge.com/sambar ) . It has lots lots goodies.

Steffen
Jorge

PostPosted: Wed 03 May '06 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have many problems with apache on x64 runs fine...
Even a full x64 build works (full eq all standard modules including mod_ssl and deflate)

Mod_security works well with it too... no php yet or mod_perl (might be because no perl form x64?)

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.2.2 vs IIS 6 View previous topic :: View next topic