logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Building & Member Downloads View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: mod_ftp
Author
tdonovan

PostPosted: Sat 12 May '07 2:15    Post subject: mod_ftp Reply with quote

One of the Apache.org modules which isn't (quite) released yet is mod_ftp.

This new module makes Apache an FTP server as well as a web server.

I built mod_ftp for Apache 2.2.4 (Win32) and it is working surprisingly well for me so far!

If you are interested in mod_ftp, my build is at http://www.tomdonovan.net/download/Apache228_mod_ftp.zip .
Updated 21 March 2008, see below.
Use this module only with Apache 2.2.4 from Apache Lounge, not with the "stock" Apache from www.apache.org.

Since it is still unreleased, and not thoroughly field-tested yet, please use caution and test carefully.
Like mod_dav, mod_ftp is a read-write protocol - so you should set up some access controls before you open it up to the world.
The Allow/Deny directives work correctly with mod_ftp. All the mod_auth* directives should work with it too, but I haven't tried them myself.

If you try mod_ftp, it would be great if you could reply here and share your opinion of it.

-tom-
Jorge

PostPosted: Sat 12 May '07 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small note: there is no virtual host support (yet?).

Pitty since if there was that would have been awsome
tdonovan

PostPosted: Sat 12 May '07 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: "there is no virtual host support "

Yes - named virtual hosts are a problem since there are no Host: headers in FTP

There was a good discussion of this a while ago on the Apache Dev list.
Apparently some other FTP servers can parse a username into a hostname + username.

If password authentication is used, the FTPHomeDir and FTPJailUser directives can be used instead of bona-fide virtual hosts.
This keeps individual users' directories strictly separated, but unfortunately it doesn't provide any way to organize users into groups with common group directories.

-tom-
pmilano1

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar '08 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in terms of concepts, do we see this going in the direction of further integration?

For example, dynamic ftp repositories? Maybe with a cgi layer?

I have a rather large SAN of data that I dynamically serve, so that the SAN is not exposed. This works well with image streaming, but many users require the ability to ftp as well.

The ability to dynamically create file listings, and on the fly user rights would be a great way to go.

Thoughts?
tdonovan

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar '08 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean.

mod_ftp does support content handlers, runs CGI programs, uses Apache authentication, etc.

It supports most of the things that the regular http protocol supports in Apache : DocumentRoot, Alias, etc.

If you want to try the current mod_ftp built with Visual Studio 2005 (for use with Apache 2.2.8 from Apache Lounge) you can download a copy from http://www.tomdonovan.net/download/Apache228_mod_ftp.zip
This was built from today's revision (639682) of the mod_ftp trunk, with a small typo fixed in ftp_commands.c (the function ftp_parse2 has a spurious "*t" in its definition). Edit: I entered Apache bug 44653 for this problem.

The docs are here.

Here's an example config section (you will need to create a C:\Apache2\ftproot directory):
Code:
LoadModule ftp_module modules/mod_ftp.so
<IfModule ftp_module>
Listen 21
<VirtualHost *:21>
    FTP on
    FTPBannerMessage "FTP Server at %L"
    DocumentRoot "C:/Apache2/ftproot"
    <Directory "C:/Apache2/ftproot">
        Options Indexes ExecCGI
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
</IfModule>

Bear in mind that mod_ftp is still very "alpha" status, so I suggest you only use this module for experimenting and testing.

-tom-

Last edited by tdonovan on Fri 21 Mar '08 19:39; edited 2 times in total
pmilano1

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar '08 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.

Thanks for the response.

Oddly, I haven't gotten that impression from any writeups I have seen. Regardless, it may indeed be a fit if we're on the same page.

Essentially, I want the entire root to be virtualized based on the CGI.

I'll take a look at the document, perhaps I just hadn't stumbled on the right one yet.

Thanks again-

P
tdonovan

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar '08 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: "I want the entire root to be virtualized based on the CGI"

hmmm.... I don't quite get it. The root is used to find a file, which - if it is a CGI - is executed to produce the result.

By the time you are executing a CGI and delivering the results to the client, the root has already been determined.
Since the root was needed to find the CGI file, I don't think a CGI can reset the root at this late point in the processing.

Perhaps you meant a module rather than a CGI, like mod_vhost_alias or mod_vhost_dbd.

-tom-
James Blond

PostPosted: Sat 22 Mar '08 11:33    Post subject: Re: mod_ftp Reply with quote

tdonovan wrote:

Use this module only with Apache 2.2.4 from Apache Lounge, not with the "stock" Apache from www.apache.org.

I found a compiled in VS6 so it runs fine with apache.org binaries

on gknw.net
glsmith

PostPosted: Sun 30 Mar '08 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdonovan wrote:
with a small typo fixed in ftp_commands.c (the function ftp_parse2 has a spurious "*t" in its definition). Edit: I entered Apache bug 44653 for this problem.

Thank you Tom
Wish I could figure these things out!

Gregg
bentogoa

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul '09 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tdonovan

Do where i can download the win32 source for this mod
glsmith

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul '09 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi#mod_ftp
bentogoa

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jul '09 8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ glsmith

Thanks

Does any know how to compile mod_ftp using VC 9 ?
tdonovan

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jul '09 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the full VC Visual Studio 2008 - you should be able to open mod_ftp.dsw and convert it to a VC9 solution/project.

If you are looking for a VC9 command-line build, try this:
    * Setup your VC9 command-line build environment, as described here

* Set an APACHE environment variable to the location of your installed version of Apache 2.2, e.g:
    Code:
    SET APACHE=C:\Apache2

* Change to the mod_ftp-0.9.2\modules\ftp directory and execute these three commands:
    Code:
    COPY /Y  NUL  ftp_config.h

CL /LD /Femod_ftp.so /Zi /arch:SSE2 /I %APACHE%\include /I ..\..\include /O2 /MD /DWIN32 /DFTP_DECLARE_EXPORT /DFTP_APXS_BUILD /LD ftp_commands.c ftp_connection.c ftp_data_connection.c ftp_data_filters.c ftp_filters.c ftp_inet_pton.c ftp_limitlogin.c ftp_log.c ftp_message.c ftp_protocol.c ftp_request.c ftp_util.c mod_ftp.c /link /INCREMENTAL:NO %APACHE%\lib\libhttpd.lib %APACHE%\lib\libapr-1.lib %APACHE%\lib\libaprutil-1.lib wsock32.lib

MT -manifest mod_ftp.so.manifest -outputresource:mod_ftp.so;2

* Copy mod_ftp.so to your Apache \modules directory.
-tom-

Reply to topic   Topic: mod_ftp View previous topic :: View next topic