logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Other Software View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: PHP 5.3.0 Released Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Brian White

PostPosted: Mon 19 Oct '09 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug into this weekend as was finally able to get PHP running as an Apache 2.2 module. My issue was the fact that I was using my old php.ini rather than the one which was included in the 5.3 distribution. Whenever I was trying to make this work, I was commenting out all of the extensions but I not adding/changing any other directives. When I applied the changes required for my installation to php.ini-production everything worked as expected (except APC). I was not able to determine the offending lines; but the edit the new .ini file approach is a much better method to use for a major or minor version upgrade.

There is an issue with APC that is discussed in Bug#1686. A preliminary fix is linked at the bottom of the thread.

The only other annoyance is that pecl4win.php.net is still dead. Thankfully, Some Windows PECL extensions (e.g. APC) are available from Pierre. (Please use APC from the bug report until the change is committed to the trunk.)
glsmith

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov '09 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear whispers in the wind that 5.3.1 has been released.
Brian White

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov '09 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

glsmith wrote:
I hear whispers in the wind that 5.3.1 has been released.

Yes it has. there is an issue (regression error in MPIR 1.2.1) with php_gmp for PIII CPUs so if you have an oder system, you may need to use php_gmp.dll from 5.3.0; but, otherwise it seems stable.

In other news, I finally got my system set up so I can build PHP and (semi) common extensions for Windows. If only Apache was so easy.
Piersson

PostPosted: Sun 15 May '11 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre wrote:
James Blond wrote:
Mitron wrote:
If you use Apache Lounge version, which is built with VC9, you must use the VC9 version of PHP

That not true. I'm using the VS9 Apache and the thread safe PHP VS6. Works fine as module and over fcgid.

That is true. It may work under certain circumstances but it is not the recommended way. But why would one want to use the VC6 builds anyway if he can use the faster VC9 versions? (no need to answer Very Happy )

Ah, but there is a need to answer that question, and I will do so:
VC6 builds are apparently still needed if you are running win2k. I have not had any luck getting any of the VC9 builds to run. The issue seems to lie in the fact that the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package does not want to install on win2k (in spite of the MS documentation saying that it is compatible with win2k!)

If anyone has any information on how to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package on Win2K, I would really appreciate it.

Otherwise, I was wondering if it would be possible to get the latest APC module compiled with VC6.
Brian White

PostPosted: Sun 15 May '11 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piersson wrote:
Pierre wrote:
James Blond wrote:
Mitron wrote:
If you use Apache Lounge version, which is built with VC9, you must use the VC9 version of PHP

That not true. I'm using the VS9 Apache and the thread safe PHP VS6. Works fine as module and over fcgid.

That is true. It may work under certain circumstances but it is not the recommended way. But why would one want to use the VC6 builds anyway if he can use the faster VC9 versions? (no need to answer Very Happy )

Ah, but there is a need to answer that question, and I will do so:
VC6 builds are apparently still needed if you are running win2k. I have not had any luck getting any of the VC9 builds to run. The issue seems to lie in the fact that the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package does not want to install on win2k (in spite of the MS documentation saying that it is compatible with win2k!)

If anyone has any information on how to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package on Win2K, I would really appreciate it.

Otherwise, I was wondering if it would be possible to get the latest APC module compiled with VC6.

It has been a while but I remember doing this, although I have since upgraded those systems to at least Server 2003. Three questions: 1) What service pack are you running? 2) What error do you receive in the service pack installation log? And 3) Do you have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package installed?
Piersson

PostPosted: Mon 16 May '11 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian White wrote:

It has been a while but I remember doing this, although I have since upgraded those systems to at least Server 2003. Three questions: 1) What service pack are you running? 2) What error do you receive in the service pack installation log? And 3) Do you have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package installed?

An update on this issue:

1) After another day spent on this issue, I was finally able to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package on Win2K. (too many patches/updates/fixes/etc. to get into)

2) This did NOT enable running of VC9-compiled PHP. I found the following thread on this topic:

http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=48761

So, it looks like this getaddrinfo() issue is a showstopper: PHP binaries compiled with VC9 absolutely will not run in 2k, no matter what you do. (Looks like the php.net team could've implemented a workaround for 2k, but chose not to.)

3) I have verified the above for all VC9-compiled versions of PHP 5.3. Looks like they all want to call getaddrinfo().

4) Fortunately, the VC6-compiled PHP 5.3 still works (although the last version is 5.3.5).

So, it looks like I will be stuck at PHP and related libs dating back to 11/2010, unless I upgrade away from win2k.

If anyone has a different experience, I would love to hear it.
Brian White

PostPosted: Mon 16 May '11 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piersson wrote:

If anyone has a different experience, I would love to hear it.

I've run across a few similar issues for some old PIII systems that I am still using. My solution has been to compile binaries that work for me using Visual Studio 2008. It's a bit of a nuisance since there are new releases periodically. And I'm not running the "official" builds; but I prefer running 5.3 over 5.2. PHP is MUCH easier to compile than Apache. I took a quick glance at the code. It looks like you only have to make a one line change to three source files.
Piersson

PostPosted: Mon 16 May '11 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, that sounds promising! I will have to pick your brain on this some more in a few months, when I will probably want to upgrade to the latest PHP.

Reply to topic   Topic: PHP 5.3.0 Released View previous topic :: View next topic