logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> News & Hangout View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache Lounge and Apache Haus Builds
Author
Steffen

PostPosted: Sun 09 Aug '09 11:43    Post subject: Apache Lounge and Apache Haus Builds Reply with quote

Today I realized me that the Windows community has at least two sources of VC9 builds, at the Apache Lounge and Apache Haus. In principal they are the same. Also they have their own versions of third party modules.

Not sure if they build it the same way as the Apache Lounge.
The policy of the Apache Lounge is that it distributes the server by building it out of the box with the GUI.

I noticed already some difference: Apache Hause has added apr_dbd_mysql-1.dll and the contents of /htdocs and /conf is not the standard, no PGP verififcation and Server directory is different. Not sure there are more differences.

For the Windows community it should be better that there is one VC9 build for HTTPD and third party modules. I am willing to discontinue the Apachelounge Download page in favor of e.g. Apache Haus. Saves me also time and money. The ideal situation would be that ASF is going to distribute VC9 versions.

Comments ?

Steffen

Notes:

The German mirror site hosts both builds.

ASF has also included in their VC6 build apr_dbd_sqlite3-1.dll, apr_dbd_pgsql-1.dll apr_dbm_db-1.dll
tdonovan

PostPosted: Sun 09 Aug '09 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope everyone appreciates all the time, effort, and money which has gone into Apache Lounge over the many years it has been around. I think Apache Lounge is one of the reasons Apache has become widely used on Windows. It is not a surprise that it inspires new Apache-Windows web sites to start up. On the web, that is the clearest sign of success!

There are advantages to having more than one site for Apache Windows binaries. Site operators who use a VC9 build in production will be more confident if they have two (or even more) sources for the software that they depend on. The Unix-Apache users have always enjoyed the luxury of having lots of different Apache builds (distros/packages) to choose from.

The nature of the two sites is also different. Apache Lounge binaries have always been very "out-of-the-box" and conservative, while Apache Haus builds are modified as you describe. Apache Haus also pushes harder on the leading-edge Apache features like SNI and and IPv6.

I think it's great that there is some choice for Apache on Windows. No single distribution will ever please everyone - web site operators are a varied group of people.

The ASF is unlikely to distribute more than one Windows build - even if they switch to VC8 or VC9 in the future. A big advantage of open-source software is that the community can provide a much larger selection of binaries than the ASF ever could. The community can also distribute 3rd-party modules along side Apache which are built with the same compiler. ASF, of course, only distributes ASF software.

Just my 2-cents worth of opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing the "Apache Garage", the "Apache Module Shopping Mall", the "Apache Historical Society", etc. etc. in the future.

-tom-
glsmith

PostPosted: Tue 11 Aug '09 3:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdonovan wrote:
I hope everyone appreciates all the time, effort, and money which has gone into Apache Lounge over the many years it has been around. I think Apache Lounge is one of the reasons Apache has become widely used on Windows. It is not a surprise that it inspires new Apache-Windows web sites to start up. On the web, that is the clearest sign of success!

Amen to every bit of that. Directly accountable for the upswing there. This forever has been the only place you can ask an Apache on Windows question and not be preached to/scorned at and converted to a penguin. That in itself says a lot. But still on top of that, it's really the only place one can go when things go wrong during compile.

Steffen and Tom, if it were not for the two of you I would probably still be on legacy today! I'd of never got 2.2.13 compiled the other day. That could still be the sad case come the next release, I never know from one to the next. If it were not for you two as well as Mario I wouldn't be in the position I am today, not in the slightest. There's still so much road ahead for me but the help I've gotten getting here has been incredible. Thank you.

[quote="Steffen"]For the Windows community it should be better that there is one VC9 build for HTTPD and third party modules.

I couldn't disagree more with that and in this case agree more with Tom. I cannot think of a single time in history where only having one make/model/style what have you of anything has been an advantage to anyone but a few and in many circumstances fatal to many. Where would we be had that always been the case. Eating our same protein disks recommended by and forced on by the system?

VC9/10, whatever it turns out to be IS eventually the future regardless of what I or anyone else may believe at this point. Thanks to you, some of us here will not be blindsided by it when it does happen, I won't, that happened already. Thanks to you , anyone who has not always had VC6 laying around would never accomplish with out.

tdonovan wrote:
The nature of the two sites is also different. Apache Lounge binaries have always been very "out-of-the-box" and conservative, while Apache Haus builds are modified as you describe. Apache Haus also pushes harder on the leading-edge Apache features like SNI and and IPv6.

It's no secret that it is that tried and true consistency of your binaries that has your download numbers where I can only imagine they are, care to remind us again? This has also over the years earned you a trust from the people who have been willing to go out of the box and use a third party distro for all these years and from what I understand that includes commercial entities, that right there in itself says so much.

You have been at this a long time, you own Google when it comes to Apache on Windows searches. You've hammered away through feast, famine and even the plague. I really am impressed by the incredible dedication and effort you've put in here.

I for one would really miss this place.

Gregg
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 11 Aug '09 9:08    Post subject: Re: Apache Lounge and Apache Haus Builds Reply with quote

Steffen wrote:

For the Windows community it should be better that there is one VC9 build for HTTPD and third party modules. I am willing to discontinue the Apachelounge Download page in favor of e.g. Apache Haus. Saves me also time and money. The ideal situation would be that ASF is going to distribute VC9 versions.

I don't think so. Apache Lounge (AL) is very popular. As Gregg told you are on the top of google ranking about apache on windows. Also AL is the best forum I know for apache on windows. Man I can't tell you how much I learned here about apache configs. But I still can't compile it Wink So there is much to learn yet.
I found AL over the download page in 2006. I'd miss it hard if it would be history. I can install on friends PC or even in my company and I know it will run.

Quote:

The German mirror site hosts both builds.

Yepp I contribute both sites. I love them both. And I don't want to life without each site.

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache Lounge and Apache Haus Builds View previous topic :: View next topic