logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> News & Hangout View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Why ASF doesn't provide an apache server built with VC9?
Author
philoulaloutre

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun '10 20:18    Post subject: Why ASF doesn't provide an apache server built with VC9? Reply with quote

Hello all.

I am mainly wondering the title of my post : "Why ASF doesn't provide an apache server built with VC9?"

I am pleased to see that there are solutions since you and apachehaus provide some apache binaries built with VC9 but do you loose any functionalities?

I have been developing a PHP extension on VC9 for PHP/IIS server. I would like to use it on a PHP/apache server.
I need a PHP VC9 version but I cannot use this version with the apache provided by ASF. So, I guess that I need your apache VC9 version or the one of apachehaus.
* Is there a list of difference between these 2 versions somewhere?
* If I download one of these versions, will I have to download the PHP 5.3.2 VC9 NTS or TS please?

Thanks for your help
Philippe
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun '10 22:42    Post subject: Re: Why ASF doesn't provide an apache server built with VC9? Reply with quote

Hi Philippe,
philoulaloutre wrote:

I am mainly wondering the title of my post : "Why ASF doesn't provide an apache server built with VC9?"

There are a lot of thirdparty modules build with VC6 and also VC6 is the lowest compability for all windows system including 9x series. You don't have to install any runtime.

philoulaloutre wrote:

I am pleased to see that there are solutions since you and apachehaus provide some apache binaries built with VC9 but do you loose any functionalities?

Nope not at all

philoulaloutre wrote:

I need a PHP VC9 version but I cannot use this version with the apache provided by ASF. So, I guess that I need your apache VC9 version or the one of apachehaus.
* Is there a list of difference between these 2 versions somewhere?
* If I download one of these versions, will I have to download the PHP 5.3.2 VC9 NTS or TS please?

If you wanna use VC9 build from PHP you have several options.
- Use ASF Apache (VC6) with mod_fcgid and PHP VC9
- Use Apachelounge (AL) or Apachehaus (AH) Apache with PHP VC9 as module
- Use AL or AH Apache with mod_fcgid and PHP VC9

If you use PHP as module you have to use the TS (Thread safe) version
Over fcgi(d) you can use the NTS (non thread safe) version or TS version.
If you use fcgi I recommend to usethe NTS version cause it is a bit faster than the TS version.

If you still have any questions please ask again.
glsmith

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun '10 0:21    Post subject: Re: Why ASF doesn't provide an apache server built with VC9? Reply with quote

philoulaloutre wrote:

Kind of debatable, James has gone over the fcgid options, finding someone with vc6 and having them build it on vc6 against a vc6 php is another option.
philoulaloutre

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun '10 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick and thorough answers!

I think I will give a try to the AL Apache with PHP VC9 TS as module.
Because :
- I don't want to use VC6 that seems to me to be a prehistoric compiler.
- I think that using a module is a better choice than a cgi.

1 comment :
Maybe I was not enough precise since my main question was not "Why Does ASF provide an apache server built with VC6?".
but "Why doesn"t ASF provide an apache server built with VC9 (as AL and AH does)?" (plus the VC6 one if needed of course)

Another question :
Is there already an existing apache server built with VC10?

Thanks again.
James Blond

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun '10 10:00    Post subject: Re: Why ASF doesn't provide an apache server built with VC9? Reply with quote

glsmith wrote:

Kind of debatable, James has gone over the fcgid options, finding someone with vc6 and having them build it on vc6 against a vc6 php is another option.

There is a VC6 build on http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi#mod_fcgid

philoulaloutre wrote:

- I think that using a module is a better choice than a cgi.

Fastcgid is not much slower than the module. Apache spwans only once the binary and than reuse it. So different to the old cgi there is no need to start the interpreter on every request.
The disadvantages I've found for me is that you can't use PHP_ADMIN_VALUE in httpd.conf and Auth with header doesn't work with fcgid.
The advantage I like most is that when PHP crashes apache doesn't!

philoulaloutre wrote:

Is there already an existing apache server built with VC10?

The first tries building with VC10 didn't sadisdy.

philoulaloutre wrote:

Why doesn"t ASF provide an apache server built with VC9?

IIRC Apache 2.4 comes with VC9 since the PHP guys also want to go to VC9. Maybe glsmith knows more about it.
glsmith

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun '10 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've built with VC10. That you cannot (at least on the Express version) set global include/lib directories and have to use per solution property sheets is a show stopper for me. Other than that, it builds fine.

What I meant about finding someone to build "it" in vc6 was for building his module ("it"), not Apache, PHP or mod_fcgid. I should have been more clear.
philoulaloutre

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun '10 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all James Blond and glsmith!

Everything is really clearer in my mind now.

Reply to topic   Topic: Why ASF doesn't provide an apache server built with VC9? View previous topic :: View next topic