logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.4 mod_fcgid: can't run
Author
Sunburst

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar '12 12:55    Post subject: Apache 2.4 mod_fcgid: can't run Reply with quote

Hi all

I hope for your support Smile

I am on a Windows Apache 2.4, 32 bit version, downloaded from this site.

My Apache runs stabil for ½-1 day and it goes down by filling up the log with this error:

Code:
[Wed Mar 28 10:57:25.702325 2012] [fcgid:error] [pid 7328:tid 384] (OS 998)Invalid access to memory location.  : mod_fcgid: can't run C:/Storage/Webserver/Apache1/PHP/php-5.4.0-nts-Win32-VC9-x86/php-cgi.exe
[Wed Mar 28 10:57:25.702325 2012] [fcgid:warn] [pid 7328:tid 384] (OS 998)Invalid access to memory location.  : mod_fcgid: spawn process C:/Storage/Webserver/Apache1/PHP/php-5.4.0-nts-Win32-VC9-x86/php-cgi.exe error

My FCGID settings are:

Code:
LoadModule fcgid_module modules/mod_fcgid.so
<IfModule mod_fcgid.c> 
   AddHandler fcgid-script .php 

# Where to look for the php.ini file? 
   FcgidInitialEnv PHPRC "C:/Storage/Webserver/Apache1/PHP/php-5.4.0-nts-Win32-VC9-x86/php-5.4.0-nts-Win32-VC9-x86" 

# Set PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS to greater than or equal to FcgidMaxRequestsPerProcess to prevent php-cgi process from exiting before all requests completed 
   FcgidInitialEnv PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS 10000 

# Maximum requests a process should handle before it is terminated 
   FcgidMaxRequestsPerProcess 10000 

FcgidMinProcessesPerClass 3

# Maximum number of PHP processes
   FcgidMaxProcesses 1000
   FcgidMaxProcessesPerClass 250

# Number of seconds of idle time before a php-cgi process is terminated 
   FcgidIOTimeout 120
   FcgidIdleTimeout 300

# If the size of the request body exceeds this amount, the request will fail with 500 Server Error. Set to 1 GB.
   FcgidMaxRequestLen 1048576000

# Path to php-cgi 
   FcgidWrapper "C:/Storage/Webserver/Apache1/PHP/php-5.4.0-nts-Win32-VC9-x86/php-cgi.exe" .php 

# Define the MIME-Type for ".php" files 
   AddType application/x-httpd-php .php 
</IfModule>

The server is a dedicated server with 8 cpu cores, 32 GB RAM, only hosting apache and MySQL. I have 50 sites on the server, some of the have heavy trafic sometimes.

I made a script that restarts apache automatisilly when apache goes down, but I very much like you guys to comment on the problem. I am NOT an expert on fastcgi, so please help Smile

Thank you Smile

Kind regards,
Jens
Sunburst

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar '12 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone? Smile
Steffen

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar '12 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hurry.

Your config has some weird entries, where did you get it ?

Wondering why you have an AddType at the bottom while there is an Addhandler at the top of your config.

This one I do not understand: FcgidInitialEnv PHPRC "C:/Storage/Webserver/Apache1/PHP/php-5.4.0-nts-Win32-VC9-x86/php-5.4.0-nts-Win32-VC9-x86" (two times php-5.4.0-nts-Win32-VC9-x86.

First try it with with the recommended config in the ReadMe:

FcgidInitialEnv PHPRC "c:/php"
FcgidInitialEnv PATH "c:/php;C:/WINDOWS/system32;C:/WINDOWS;C:/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem;"
FcgidInitialEnv SystemRoot "C:/Windows"
FcgidInitialEnv SystemDrive "C:"
FcgidInitialEnv TEMP "C:/WINDOWS/Temp"
FcgidInitialEnv TMP "C:/WINDOWS/Temp"
FcgidInitialEnv windir "C:/WINDOWS"
FcgidIOTimeout 64
FcgidConnectTimeout 16
FcgidMaxRequestsPerProcess 500

<Files ~ "\.php$>"
AddHandler fcgid-script .php
FcgidWrapper "c:/php/php-cgi.exe" .php
</Files>

Remember to substitute the c:/php for your actual path to PHP in the above example, eg in your case C:/Storage/Webserver/Apache1/PHP/php-5.4.0-nts-Win32-VC9-x86

Steffen

Last edited by Steffen on Thu 29 Mar '12 19:04; edited 1 time in total
Sunburst

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar '12 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steffen

Thank you Smile

I found the example on the web, but I replaced it with your example. It ran much quicker and without problems for some hours until it showed this error for all websites:

Code:
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

I have never seen this error before. And there was nothing to see in the log. When I restarted Apache it ran again.

Can you cast some light over it? Is the default example that you gave not fit for a server with many hits? I have 50 sites on the server and some of the sites have 1.000 - 3.000 unique visitors per day.

The server has 8 cpu cores, 32 RAM and 4 HHDs (raid10) and 2 SSDs (raid1 hosting the MySQL databases). So the hardware should not be the problem Smile

Can you help again Smile

Thank you so much Smile
Steffen

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar '12 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt that this is a Apache config issue.

Really nothing in the Apache logs or in the Windows Event Viewer ?

Only happens with Chrome ?

See the very long discussion at http://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/m/#!topic/chrome/E9OS9mS6yc8

Check your antivirus, firewall or shield settings. and check for for malware. Also clear the browser cash and try and disable Chrome extensions.

The extra settings we have here:

FcgidInitialEnv PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS 1000
FcgidMaxRequestsPerProcess 1000
FcgidMaxProcesses 50
FcgidMaxRequestLen 8131072

And that has quite more visitors then yours.

Steffen
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar '12 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get this error
Quote:

Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

in your browser?

Do you have a gigabit networkcard in that server? Is it running wiwth gigabit?

--- edit ---
Like Steffen I think it is Chrome related, not Apache
Sunburst

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar '12 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it happened in my browsers (Chrome and Firefox) and yes the server is on a 1 gbit internet connection.

I changed the settings to give the fastcgi more speed as Stefen wrote and have not seen the error since.

What can the error be?
Sunburst

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar '12 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see this error again, but now I have this error: http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=21108#21108

Thank you for help! Smile
Sunburst

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr '12 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error is back:
Code:
[Tue Apr 03 09:10:59.958229 2012] [fcgid:error] [pid 5444:tid 396] (OS 998)Invalid access to memory location.  : mod_fcgid: can't run C:/Storage/Webserver/Apache1/PHP/php-5.4.0-nts-Win32-VC9-x86/php-cgi.exe
[Tue Apr 03 09:10:59.958229 2012] [fcgid:warn] [pid 5444:tid 396] (OS 998)Invalid access to memory location.  : mod_fcgid: spawn process C:/Storage/Webserver/Apache1/PHP/php-5.4.0-nts-Win32-VC9-x86/php-cgi.exe error

The error happens 2 times each day and apache finally - after filling up the log - goes down (but it restarted automatically).

Under Server-Status (when the error happened and before the restart) it showed zero fastcgi processes.

I think I better downgrade now - both Apache and PHP... :-/

UPDATE: PHP is now downgraded to 5.3.10. And if the error keeps poping up I will downgrade to Apache 2.2 too.
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr '12 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some indication in your php.log ?

Steffen
Sunburst

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr '12 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your fine replies Smile

I got it to work by:
    1) Disabling the new Apache 2.4 disk cache. It was actuall slowing things down.

2) Running with the example configuration mod_fcgid

3) Setting MaxConnectionsPerChild down to 50000 in mpm_winnt_modul

So now it is 100% stable running for some weeks Smile

But now I found this gigantic security hole in my settings - please help me here: http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=4683

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.4 mod_fcgid: can't run View previous topic :: View next topic