logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Total n00b... Installed Apache and PHP... Now What???
Author
ForTozs

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug '12 23:50    Post subject: Total n00b... Installed Apache and PHP... Now What??? Reply with quote

Hello, I am in the process of switching from a web hosting service to hosting my own web page. I registered the domain using Go Daddy. I have installed Apache and PHP on my mac using macports. I'm not sure how well it is configured, but I can see the contents of my directory using localhost. Now I am confused about the next steps.

First, I have my computer connected wirelessly (yes, I know...) to my time capsule which is connected via ethernet to a Cisco switch which is connected via ethernet to our fiber modem. I assume I only need port 80 forwarded on the fiber modem. Is that right? It doesn't look like the switch is blocking anything, at least.

Second, how precisely do get the page online? Do I need to cancel with my web server first or is there some way I can take over the DNS without doing that? I have the local host at 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts. Should this be changed to mirror my routers forwarding server at 192.168.1.254? My own IP? I'm confused about this. I'm not sure if I should, but I have virtualhost enabled in my httpd.conf. Is this necessary if I only plan on hosting one domain?

Sorry, I felt I had accomplished something getting Apache and PHP installed, but I'm at a loss as to what the next steps are for getting my page online. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to add. My page is on the web if I go to the public IP assigned by my router, but I don't know how to point that IP to my domain name.
Materix

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep '12 2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must set your router to forward port 80 to your local machine. And then set the DNS at GoDaddy to point the domain name to your public ip-address.

But are you sure, you want to use your mac for hosting a public website? Do you not use it for other purposes?
ForTozs

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep '12 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I should have updated my status. But I did exactly what you said and everything is working perfect as far as I can tell. I'm sure I want to do this for now. I will still be using my laptop for other tasks, but I will leave it on the network and always powered on. Maybe I'll get me a mini for Christmas and migrate everything to that. I'll be saving $5 a month now! I don't expect a ton of traffic at my page so the bandwidth I have should be enough for now. Thanks again!

Reply to topic   Topic: Total n00b... Installed Apache and PHP... Now What??? View previous topic :: View next topic