logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Cannot start Apache Server: port 80 problem
Author
Flame0222

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov '12 12:23    Post subject: Cannot start Apache Server: port 80 problem Reply with quote

I'm running Apache 2.2 on Windows 7. I'm a casual user of the Apache server, and the server I'm running is only used to develop a Silverlight application on the local machine, nothing more. The following problem is apparently a non-systematic error (sometimes the server can startup, sometimes it cannot. If it cannot, it sometimes can after a reboot (a service startup race condition?))

I get the following error when starting the server:

Quote:
"The requested operation has failed!"

When I run "http.exe" from a command prompt I get:

Quote:
httpd.exe: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name
, using 10.0.0.100 for ServerName
(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port)
is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs

An now the spooky part begins :-)

It does not write anything in the "error.log". It cannot? why? rights? but it could yesterday! anything changed from yesterday, no nothing!

I have tried to start the server many times today, and it has not written anything in error.log. Looking in the log there are many entries from yesterday, when the server probably worked!?

Okay there most be something using port 80 then!

Output from "netstat -o -n -a | findstr :80" is nothing! netstat says there is nothing listening on port 80.

I'm running SQL Server 2008 Express, and "Reporting Service" would be a prime candidate for listening on port 80, but netstat says it is not!

I'm using the ZoneAlarm firewall (the Apache server has been given full trust and permissions), and it has worked previously, I belive it cannot be the problem.

I'm using Avast anti-virus, but everything is disabled in it, and I'm only using it to run a virus check from time to time.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

(btw.: I don't think it has anything to do with the "fully qualified domain name", because the setting it is complaining about has always been the same, also when the server is actually working, from time to time)
cbj4074

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov '12 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use Skype, by chance? Skype binds to port 80 (and 443, actually) unless it's told not to (in the Advanced -> Connection settings pane).

As for Apache failing to write to the log file, it could be a permissions issue. One way to know for sure is to launch Apache manually (httpd.exe) using "Run as Administrator".

I don't run Apache as a service (I prefer to start it manually with "httpd --console"), and Apache won't write to my log file either (because I installed it to the privileged directory "C:\Program Files"), unless I start the executable as an Administrator (and click "OK" on the elevation prompt).
glsmith

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov '12 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem could be and often is that it is already running as a service. As long as it is running as a service, there should be no problem writing logs even if in Program Files. If Apache errors and bails before logs get opened, it will not write to the logs, it will usually show up in the event viewer.

Reply to topic   Topic: Cannot start Apache Server: port 80 problem View previous topic :: View next topic